Part 25

Flashback, Taehyung POV
The dawn is almost breaking. The sun is peeking through the horizon, its orange hue perfusing through the dark sky.
"Ugh, I'm going to be late. It's all because that girl. If only she hadn't asked me to take her back to the village." I grunt under my breath as I flip the rein, telling my horse to speed up.
It's my father's death anniversary. Even though he was a royal, his body wasn't allowed to be buried in the palace graveyard because he committed treason. Thus, just like what I've been doing every year on this date, I visited his tomb which is located in the woods.
Speaking of woods, my mind instantly wanders back to the quick-witted girl whom I met on my way back earlier . The memory of her shimmering curious eyes staring at me, her long silky hair blowing on my face & the feeling of her slender frame in between my arms momentarily distracts me from the urgency at hand.
She was one odd girl.
An involuntary smile curves the corner of my lips, which takes me aback. I hastily clear my throat & flatten my lips.
Stop thinking about her. You will never meet her again anyway.
I focus on the road ahead & signal my horse to go even faster. Soon, the silhouette of the magnanimous palace looms over me, blocking the increasingly brightening sunlight.
Shit, I have to get back to the palace as soon as possible, otherwise I'll get caught.
Luckily, there's no guard in sight when I pass through the side gate of the city. I quickly park my black horse in the stall where the wall guards keep their horses & sprint to the secret door.
The door opens with a barely audible creak & I safely get into the garden without anyone noticing.
Huh.. Thank God.
I quickly change back into my usual attire in the shed & step out.
"What were you doing in there?" A bone-chilling voice stops me in my track.
I slowly lift my gaze & find Jungkook staring at me with his suspicious gaze.
Fuck.
"Are you deaf? I'm asking you a question." He takes a step closer, his frown deepening.
"I was cleaning up my tools." I offer the first excuse that comes to mind.
"At this hour? Do you think I'll buy that? Move away. I want to see what you're hiding in there." He shoves me to the side & steps into the shed.
I shift my weight anxiously, praying that he won't find the cloak & boots I hid under the tools.
Not long after, he comes out empty-handed.
"Ugh, you should tidy up that shed. It's dirtier than a pig sty & smells like shit." He scrunches his nose.
"That's the fertilizer & it's indeed made of cow shit." I reply with a flat face.
"Yuck! Disgusting." He steps backwards, distancing himself from the shed.
"What brings you here so early in the morning?"
"You're supposed to be my sparing partner this morning, remember? I ordered the guards to fetch you, in case you run away, but they couldn't find you in the servant's quarter so I came here." He explains as he pulls his sword out of the sheath.
I spontaneously gulp at the sight of the sharp metal. The last time he asked me to be his sparing partner, I couldn't get out of bed for the following three days. He didn't treat me like a partner, he basically used me as his punching bag & I wasn't allowed to fight back.
"What's that look on your face? Are you scared? Is that why you're hiding here?" He chuckles mockingly  while sliding his sword back into its sheath.
"I-I'm not scared." I curse the quiver in my voice for betraying my words.
"Oh really? Then, I shall remind you why you should be." He smirks.
Without any warning, he thrusts his sheathed sword at my torso, its pointed tip hitting my ribcage. Pain reverberates throughout my body, bright white stars flashing in my eyes, as I drop onto the ground. If the sword wasn't sheathed, I'd probably be dead already.
"Oh no, my poor cousin. Does it hurt?" Jungkook  coos before ramming his boot onto my shoulder, making me fall backwards.
Then, he stoops down next to me & watches me whimpering in pain.
"That's just a preview of the real thing. Get your ass up & prepare yourself. I'll be waiting for you at the usual place." He snickers & stands up.
Just when I think that he's done for the mean time, he stops moving, his eyes focusing on something on the ground. I follow the direction of his gaze & realize that he's staring at my wrist. To be exact, at the bracelet on my wrist.
Shit, I forgot to take it off.
I frantically cover it with the sleeve of my shirt, but he snatches my hand.
"Where did you get this? This looks like real gold. Did you steal it?" He asks.
"N-No. It's mine." I try to release myself from his grip to no avail.
"Liar. Tell me the truth. Where did you steal it from?"
"I didn't steal it! My father gave it to me when I was little! Now, let me go!" I try to release myself from his grip to no avail.
"Ahhh, your traitor father gave it to you?" An evil smirk curves his lips.
In a swift move, he unclasps the bracelet & places it in his pocket.
"No! Give it back to me!" I scream.
He kicks my chest, causing me to stumble down again.
"Give it back to you? Hah! Your father must've had stolen this from my family, so I'm only taking back what's mine."
"He didn't steal it! He was an honorable man, not a thief! Your father was the one who set us up & stole what was ours! He is the thief!"
A hard kick lands on the side of my stomach, shutting me up.
"I'll cut your tongue & feed it to the dogs if you ever dare to say such thing again. My father is the king, your father was a traitor. Whatever you say won't change that fact. So my dear cousin, I suggest you stop yapping like a mad dog & be grateful that my father still let you live until this day." He hisses before turning on his heels & walking away.
Tears of pain & frustration flood my eyes. I want to scream & curse at him, but I stay silent because I'm scared that if I do, he will come back again.
Clutching my stomach, I slowly rise from the ground & sit on the bench near the shed.
I'm sorry, Father. I'm so sorry for being so useless that I can't even protect the only thing you left me. I'm sorry.
I cradle my head & cry until all my tears are spent. Then, I straighten myself up & walk to the usual place to meet Jungkook.