Part 2

"Dami ya, don't cry. I'll come back to visit all of you." I wipe the tears off Dami's flushed cheeks with my thumbs, while sniffing my own tears.
"But who's going to read us stories again? Can't you stay? Do you really have to go?" She bites her lips & looks up at me with her glistening round eyes.
My heart clenches at the sight. This is why I hate goodbyes.
"Listen to me. Do you remember the brave & kind-hearted prince I always talk about in my stories? I'm going to meet him. And when I do, I'll tell him that there's a little girl in my village who's a huge fan of him." I stoop down & bop her nose.
There's very slim chance that I'll be able to talk to the prince, but a little white lie won't hurt, right?
"You're going to meet the prince? Oh my goodness, your dream is going to come true!" She clasps her hands together, eyes widening in delight.
"That's why I have to go. I promise I'll write to you, ok?"
"Ok. I'll miss you so so much, Eonni." She circles her frail arms around my neck.
"I'll miss you very much too." I reciprocate her hug, feeling sad that I won't be able to see my biggest supporter again for a long time.
"Y/n ah, we need to leave now." Appa calls out from our make-shift horse carriage.
"Yes, appa! Dami ya, promise me that you'll take care of yourself, ok? Don't forget to study, listen to your mother & don't fight with Yeonjun. Speaking of whom, where's Yeonjun?" I release her & ask.
"I asked him to come with me, but he said that he was busy."
"Ah, I see. Alright then, good bye Dami ya. Take care." I hug her again one last time before walking to the carriage.
"Good bye, Eonni!" Dami waves her tiny hands at me as tears continue rolling down her face.
"Wait!" Someone suddenly exclaims.
"Yeonjun?" I turn around & see the chubby boy running towards us.
"Nuna.. I have.. something.. for you.." He pants as he pulls out something out of his pocket.
It's a hand-forged dagger in its sheath.

"Why are you giving this to me? Did your father make this?""My father told me that the place where you're going is very dangerous so I asked my father to help me make this for you

"My father told me that the place where you're going is very dangerous so I asked my father to help me make this for you." He averts his gaze & says, his face reddening.
"Thank you so much, Yeonjun ah. I'll always carry this with me." His kind gesture touches me deeply, so I give him a hug.
Unexpectedly, he hugs me back & cries.
"Stay safe, Nuna. And don't forget us."
"I won't. Good bye kids! Until we meet again!" I get on the carriage beside Appa & continue waving at them until they disappear into two tiny dots in the distance.
"Are you sad to leave them?" Appa asks.
"Well, yes. It feels like I'm never going to see them again, you know?" I shrug.
"We can always come back after my work is done. Aren't you excited that we're going to live in the city? You've always dreamt about visiting the grand palace, right?"
"Of course I am. I've written about that place dozens of times despite never having seen it in my life. I'm curious to see whether it's as magnificent as what I'd imagined."
"Now that's the spirit." Appa smiles at me & gently strokes my head.
Yes, you shouldn't be sad Y/n ah. Your dream is coming true.

Our journey is long & winding, but I don't mind at all. Myriads of questions run through my head & I can't wait to have them answered when we reach the city.
Are the walls of the palace really made of gold? How does the royal family actually looks? I heard that the King is not very kind, but what about the prince? Is he the same as his father? Will I even be able to catch a glimpse of him?
After passing endless meadows & rocky roads, we're finally getting closer.
"Y/n! Look! That must be the grand palace!" Appa taps my shoulder repeatedly.
"Where? Where?" I instantly sits up straight & looks around.
"There!"
My eyes follow the direction he's pointing at & my jaw instantly drops.