Part 30

Y/n POV
Cold..
Why is it so cold?
The chilly air pierces through my thin clothing & straight to my bones. I wrap my arms around myself & curve my body into a ball, but it doesn't help.
Heavily, my eyes flutter open. However, there's nothing but endless darkness in sight.
I plant one hand onto the ground & lift myself up, the dry twigs & leaves beneath me rustling with my every move.
"Hello?" I croak, my throat itchy & parched.
"Hello? Anybody there?" I call out again, a bit louder this time, but still there's no response.
I look up at the sky. The moon is barely visible through the dense foliage.
Where am I?
Disoriented, I rise from the ground with much difficulty & scan my surroundings. My eyes have finally adjusted to the lack of light & I can faintly see trees towering all around me.
I'm in the woods? But how did I-
"Ugh.." I clutch my chest as I feel a stinging pain in my heart.
Did I get hurt?
I bring my palm to my face & observe it closely, expecting blood, but there's nothing on it.
Did I pass out? For how long? Why can't I remember anything?
It's as if my mind is clouded by a persistent fog, which refuses to dissipate no matter how hard I try to chase it away.
"Y/n! Y/n!"
My ears perk up as I faintly hear someone calling my name.
"I'm here!" I shout back.
Squinting my eyes, I try to look for the source of the voice.
Then, I see it. A flicker of fire in the distant, which becomes two, and then three, and more.
"I'm here! I'm here!" I scream even louder & wave my hands up in the air.
"Y/n! Oh thank God!" The person emerges from the darkness & passes the torch he's carrying to the man behind him.
It's Appa.
"Appa!" Tears brim in my eyes as I run to him.
"Why did you go into the woods alone?! Don't you know that it's dangerous?!" He scolds me while hugging me tightly.
"I-I'm sorry. I don't know what happened. I can't remember how I got here."
"You didn't come home even after the sky turned dark, so I asked the village kids. They told me that you read them stories at the edge of the woods this afternoon & then they went home. I was worried sick, so I gathered some people to look for you." He explains.
I read stories to the kids this afternoon? Why do I feel like it happened a long time ago?
"Let me look at you. Did you get hurt?" Appa pushes me away & observes me from head to toe.
"I don't think so. Just a slight pain on my chest." I rub my chest with my palm. The ache is still there but less intense now.
"It's getting colder. Let's get you home first." He throws a blanket over my shoulders & guides me out of the woods.
"I thought I'd never see it again." I sigh in relief when the familiar shadow of my village appears in front of my eyes.
All of a sudden, I hear the sound of horse galloping coming from behind.
I abruptly halt my steps & turn my head, but I see nothing.
Am I hallucinating?
"What's wrong?" Appa asks.
"Nothing. Let's go." I smile at him & continue walking.
Once I'm done cleaning myself up, I sit down with Appa in the kitchen.
"Tea?" He places a cup on the table in front of me.
"Thank you." I smile at him & take a sip, savoring its warmth.
"Oh, where is your necklace? Did you take it off?" He points at my neck & asks.
"My necklace?" I sweep my fingers across my neckline & feel nothing but skin.
"Oh no, I must have lost it in the woods! I need to find it." I gasp in panic & readily rush to the door.
"Wait! What are you doing? It's already very late!" Appa grabs my arm to stop me.
"But it's Eomma's necklace! The only thing she left me. I can't lose it!"
"Y/n ah, about that necklace.." He loosens his grip & lowers his head, seemingly troubled.
"What about it?"
"Actually.. it wasn't your mother's." He scratches the back of his head & says.
"I don't understand. If it wasn't Eomma's, then whose was it?" I frown, confused.
"Well.. I think I need to tell you the truth now.."
He begins to explain about what happened twenty years ago. About the lady & her daughter, whom he rescued but lost their lives in the end regardless. About the necklace that was supposed to be given to & protect the lady's daughter, Taeri.
Needless to say, I'm stunned. All these years, I believe that the necklace was my mother's. Nevertheless, instead of feeling disappointed, I feel strangely relieved.
"I contemplated on telling you what exactly happened, but then I was afraid that you would be disappointed. I'm so sorry, Y/n ah. You must be mad at me for lying to you for so long." Appa pinches his brows, looking like he's about to cry.
"That's ok, Appa. I understand. Did you figure out who they were?" I pull him into a hug & let him sob on my shoulder.
"I- I didn't. The lady didn't tell me anything, only her daughter's name."
"Could you please bring me to their graves? I'd like to pay my respect."
"Sure. Let's go there tomorrow." He nods.