Chapter 13: Firefly Magic

Ten years ago

Ten years ago...

Summer was my favorite time of the year. It was when life seemed to stand still, allowing me to feel what living actually felt like, instead of rushing through one moment to the next. School was out, the weather was warmer, ice cream was never in short supply, and weekend trips out at the lake cabin with Liam's family and mine became a new tradition.

The warm air blanketed me as I licked the stickiness off my hands and groaned, looking down at my cherry-stained shirt from my finished popsicle. Mama would kill me if I stained my shirt. She always told me I needed to look presentable.

"You're a lady Madalynn, when are you going to act like it?" She'd say.

Too bad for her, the chances of that happening were looking slim. I liked my stained t-shirts and shorts. I liked playing in the mud or throwing a ball around with Liam. I was ten now, going on eleven in a few short months, which meant I was capable of making my own decisions on how I wanted to dress or play.

"Madalynn, did you get your popsicle on your shirt?" My mama complained, walking up to me as though just thinking about defying her made her appear.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to."

"It's just a shirt. I'm sure it will come right out honey." John, my stepdad said, stepping right beside my mom.

She looked to him and smiled, wrapping her arm around his waist, before turning back to look at me.

"He's right, Maddie. It's okay. Go on and play."

I grinned, dashing off to find Liam. Ever since my mama got together with John, she was a lot nicer about things. I still wasn't used to her more carefree self, especially when it came to me. But those days, she seemed...happy. And I was glad that she was. Especially since I apparently didn't have to worry about getting my shirts dirty. Good thing too 'cause I spotted Liam down by the Lake swinging from the rope, and I took off at full speed to join him.

"Watch this, Maddie!" Liam yelled as I approached him.

He got off the rope swing that he had swinging like a pendulum just a moment ago and held tight to it. Then, he ran forwards and jumped on, allowing himself to be swung over the water. I watched as the rope moved back and forth from over the water to over the land. Quickly, he let go of the rope and splashed into the lake.

He broke through the water a moment later, gasping for air. Rubbing his eyes, he blinked, and glanced over at me, grinning from ear to ear.

"Betcha can't do that!"

"Uh-huh!" I yelled back.

"Nuh-uh! You don't like to go under water!

"Yes, I do!

No, I don't.

"Really, 'cause I thought you were afraid of swimmin'."

"No, I'm not, Liam!"