Chapter 27: The Look

Turns out, the rest of the cabin was just as insane

Turns out, the rest of the cabin was just as insane. There were three large bedrooms, two full bathrooms with glass and stone showers, a game room that had a large TV and a pool table, and a firepit outside facing the gorgeous view of the lake and mountains. I was in love. 

Savannah and Kat insisted on sharing a room so that Aaron and I could have a room to ourselves, and Liam a room of his own. We were in my bedroom for the weekend, when I turned to face the two ladies partly responsible for the "Liam situation" downstairs.

"So... which one of you thought it was a good idea for Liam to be here this weekend, and not tell me?"

Kat and Savannah immediately pointed at the other with widened eyes as they said at the same time, "Her."

If my emotions weren't still everywhere from my encounter with Liam, I would have laughed.

"I'm sorry, Maddie. Aaron didn't tell us until the other day. I know I probably should have said something."

"Probably? I am pretty sure you mean definitely."

Kat sighed. "Okay, yes, definitely. I just didn't want to give you the chance to self-sabotage. Honestly, as much as I love you and have your back, I also kind of feel like this is the perfect opportunity to figure things out. I know you're still hurt with what happened between you guys. Maybe this weekend, you two can finally get it all out there."

My lips twisted in annoyance, knowing she was right. I nodded and looked to Savannah who had been unusually quiet. She looked back and forth between me and Kat before shrugging.

"What? I just thought he'd be fun to look at this weekend." She smiled sheepishly, causing me to break out in laughter joined by Kat.

I couldn't stay mad at those girls even if I tried.

We headed back downstairs with the intent on going outside to grab our bags and unpack when I stopped short at the doorway. Our bags had already been brought in, placed in the entrance as Liam closed the door with the last bag in his hand. He faced me, setting it down.

"You didn't have to grab our bags, Liam, but thank you."

He gave me a small smile before nodding toward the kitchen. "Dinner is ready. I was just about to come get you guys."

"Thank you, I know the girls are starving." I turned toward them, but they were already gone. Shaking my head, I smiled back at Liam. "It was really sweet of you to cook. You didn't have to do that either."

"I know I didn't. But I wanted to." He tucked his hands into his pockets as he fixed a steely-eyed gaze upon me.

Acutely aware of the energy in the air, I took a moment to study him. His black joggers and gray, long-sleeved shirt did wonders for him with the silver chain I almost always saw him wear, tucked into his shirt. Both his tousled hair and the light scruff on his face seemed to scream out at me to run my hands through it and over it.