Chapter 28: Oops

I'm not sure if any amount of wine would prepare me for a conversation with Aaron immediately after accidentally groping his brother, but there was certainly no harm in pouring me another glass just to be sure

"I see you've wasted no time in bringing out the alcohol." Aaron chuckled, eyeing me a little too curiously. "So, listen," he paused, clearing his throat, "I hope you're not mad about Liam being here. I was wanting to surprise you. I sort of felt like I needed to make up for the other night."

I sat my glass down and peered up at him. His eyes seemed earnest and almost timid. "I'm not mad. He's actually been...helpful. I'm just wondering your intention. Why invite him to make up for the other night?"

He blew out a breath, peering down at nothing in particular before meeting my gaze. "Like I said before, I know you guys have a past. You've made it clear you still care for him. I know if it is going to work between us, if you ever decide there is an us that is, Liam is going to be a part of that in some way. He's family, after all. And I imagine things would be a lot easier between all of us, if you guys were friends again."

I stayed silent a moment, processing what he had said. He was right in the fact that my relationship with Liam would always be entangled with any relationship he and I would have.
And I really did want to be friends with Liam again. Today had given me a glimmer of hope at that possibility.

I mean, honestly, I don't see any reason why Liam and I can't take the next step and be committed to one another, or why Aaron and I can't be friends.

Wait, hold on.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I pressed my fingers to my temple.

I mean, why Liam and I can't be friends and Aaron and I move forward. 

Right?

Shaking my head, I buried my thoughts to dig up for further analysis at a time when wine wasn't clouding my brain and when I wasn't spending a nice weekend with my friends. Pushing my glass further from my reach, I focused back on Aaron.

"You're right. I'm pretty sure anyway. I have had about three of these glasses now, so really, who knows?" I giggled, patting Aaron on the chest. "Want to help me bring these out to the girls? They're probably thinking I have downed the whole bottle by now."

He chuckled, picking up the two glasses of wine. "Sure, are they out back?"

"Yep." I nodded, pointing the direction. "I'll be there in just a second."

I watched him leave the kitchen as I stood there drumming my fingers on the countertop, my mind wandering. Glancing down at my wine glass a moment later, we became locked in an intense staring battle.

Ah, screw it.

"I blinked, you won." I whispered to the cup, as I grabbed the bottle of wine again and poured me a properly proportioned glass. "Take that, Liam."