Chapter 32: Fly Away

Trigger warning: Please be aware this chapter depicts abuse in the form of grooming/preying on a minor

Six years ago...

Little Dove,

I'm missing you so badly here lately. I wish I could pick up the phone and hear your voice. I am about to just send you a phone, I don't care how your mom feels about you having one, screw her anyway, right? 

 I'm sorry I haven't written as much lately. Things have been crazy with my guitar lessons and school. But what about you? Have you made any friends yet? I, uh, hope I still fall under that best friend category. Don't know if I could handle getting that 'Dear John' letter from you telling me I've been replaced. LOL. 

But seriously.

Good news on the car front. I have saved almost enough to buy this used car I found on a lot not too far from my house. Dad said once I can pay for it upfront, he would pay for the insurance. I take my driving test in two weeks, so you never know, I could be showing up at your door any day now. 

Okay, well, any month now anyway. 

Maddie, how are you? Really? I know you, and I know when something is wrong. Your last few letters have seemed different. Please... let me know.

Don't forget how amazing you are, okay? 

Always, 

Liam

P.s. I pinky promise.

I wiped my eyes, not wanting the tears to tarnish the fragile paper. Liam's letter was what I had desperately needed today, but in truth, it was what I needed every day. I so badly wanted to hear his voice telling me that everything was going to be okay. Even if it was a lie.

I missed him. 

So much.

A light knock on my bedroom door had me quickly hiding the letter underneath some books on top of my desk in barely enough time before Ben let himself in.

His dark, assessing look caused me to be grateful that half of me was hidden underneath the desk, as he took a step forward. "Hey kiddo, what are you doing in here?"

I shivered, hating the way the word sounded off his lips. I wasn't, nor would I ever be his kiddo, especially with the way he contradicted that word with almost every action he made.

"Nothing. Just studying."

A disgusting smirk spread across his face as his finger traced the spine of the textbook on my desk. "What a good girl you are, studying on a weekend. You know how much that pleases me, but you know what else pleases me? Watching you have some fun." He trailed his eyes down, focusing on my legs briefly, before pulling them back up to my eyes. "It's a nice day outside. Why don't you go out and play?"