Regionals Mix-Up

Noah's Perspective:

We won Regionals! TNS won Regionals! This was the most exciting moment of my life! So much build up, so much hard work all season, and every bit of it payed off hugely.

Everyone was all over the stage celebrating. The crowd was cheering so loud that I could barely hear myself think, but I didn't care. The lights that shone on us almost reflected how illuminated we were inside, but didn't quite do it justice.

I took the giant trophy from the judge and gave her a friendly nod, then held it up over my head while everyone crowded around me.

The ten people that I won this title with were amazing, and I was going to miss every single one of them so much. They were my family, my home. Leaving was going to be so hard, but I tried not to think about it. It was celebrating time, and it didn't need to be dampened with moping.

Then, in that moment, everything happened so quickly.

Jacquie turned to hug me, and I acknowledged her for a second, then stopped. Someone else had my attention.

She was with Piper, blonde hair bouncing as she jumped up and down with excitement. It was the happiest I'd ever seen her. And for I second, I thought... I thought she was beautiful.

Of course, I'd thought she was pretty before, but in a much different way. Lately, these feelings had been taking me off guard. Ever since I saw her in the escape room, drowning herself in her sorrows as everyone else had fun... I'd felt different about her.

She was all alone, by herself, and no one really cared but.. me. I cared. I realized then that I cared about her. I wanted to punch Elliot for leaving her, her pain made my heart break. And how could he have left her? She was amazing, absolutely stunning, the kindest person ever if you really knew her...

So, in that moment, I completely ignored Jacquie and went to hug Richelle, without even thinking. I just wanted to.

She was surprised at first, but then melted into it. Just like when I hugged her 2 days ago... the most incredible feeling.

When we let go, I never wanted it to end, but I knew it had to. Because my girlfriend was behind me, probably still waiting for her hug that I ignored.

And that was when I knew that I really messed up. Because that one moment would change my life forever.

Jacquie and I had agreed to stay together until the end of Regionals and have a couple days to really savor our relationship. But now.. I didn't know. Jacquie was more dramatic than anyone else I knew, aside from Richelle. She wasn't going to react well to this.

To attempt to make things slightly better, I turned back around and grabbed Jacquie, pulling her towards me and kissing her. I almost felt eyes on us, and heard someone behind us sigh with disappointment. I wondered what that was about; we just won Regionals, what was there to be sad about?

Jacquie kissed back with just as much passion, which I took to mean that she wasn't too mad at me. But when we pulled away, her eyes were cold, staring into my soul with a look of disgust.

"We'll talk about this later," she whispered, so only I could hear.

I gulped. I'd underestimated how upset she'd be. I calmed my racing heart and heavy breaths and went back to celebrating with my team.

——————

Richelle's Perspective:

I was in complete shock when Noah hugged me. Sure, we'd hugged a lot before, and of course he was overwhelmed with the excitement of Regionals, but... he turned Jacquie, his girlfriend, away... for me.