✧ 6 ✧

Like those oracles you are my part, destined to love me, in one soul One body with different shades, in different hues

May

Today is the day we will be visiting our family members. I mean the times like students go on vacations. Since I don't have a decent family, Zhan provoked me to spend the vacation in his hometown Tobio with him this time. I too didn't like to stay away from him at first. It pained me to stay away from him. Anyways, so we finally decided to go to his home.  Tobio is such a nice place. It has a bit of humid air, unlike the mid-spring in other parts of Japan, but it's-  in one word, beautiful. Two sides of the road were full of sakura trees along with nice little houses. The crickets minding their own chorus while the butterflies busy with their waltz. The bees were excited to box while I and Zhan were humming in their own world.

He has a sweet house with his loving parents and a cat named Elizabethia the greatest. They were delighted to see their son and his friend. At first, I was still a bit angry at them for not feeding Zhan properly in his early childhood when there were cases of the same problem in their ancestors. But noticing me grumpy, Zhan just glared at me to cut the chase and like a tamed brat, I did. Guess it was not something we can control right? It's just one of the faults in our stars.

"How is the food Yibo? It goes with your taste right?" Zhan's mother said. Age and weather may put some wrinkles over her forehead but her eyes were bright. She resembled Zhan a lot.

"It is good. Thank you for having me here. I am more than grateful." I said to her.

"The pleasures are all ours. We were scared about Zhan- I mean he is in a new school with new students. But we are more than glad he found you." His father said smiling. Certainly he had no resemblance with Zhan except the mole under his lip.

"I am more than glad to find him too. Actually, I have never been happier before until I met him" I said. And at an instant, Zhan nudged my feet under the table. But unexpectedly it was a little too much that the table shook. Both of his parents' eyes widened and as they noticed how Zhan was all red and drooped his head to hide his shyness, they all suppressed their laugh. Seeing them I couldn't help but flush a little. No one made any more sound except Elizabethia the greatest who was busy yawning and purring while watching us eat.

Later that night while Zhan was busy with his father and Elizabethia the greatest I helped Zhan's mom with the dishes. She was happy to have both of us around and treated me like his own son.

I noticed she was sighing here and there and about to ask me something couldn't find the courage to do so. So I made the attempt first. I stared at her eyes straight and questioningly, and she gave up suppressing her urge furthermore.

"I- I guess you are smart enough to read people?"

"I don't know, it's just intuition."

"Zhan... I guess you may notice his illness?"

"Yeah, many times."

" He has chronic hypocalcemia. It is basically a lack of calcium sometimes associated with other minerals. Earlier we didn't have much money to feed him the best and over that he was a picky eater. But who knew it will end up in this way."

"I know how he suffers-"

"It was when he was 14, the spasm suddenly started out of nowhere. At first, we thought he just hit his leg to somewhere when playing, so we waited while putting ointments. One week, two weeks, three weeks- a whole month spent by. We once even thought he must be acting so that he didn't have to go to school. But we were proved wrong. From leg, to back, to shoulder, to hands- they started paining. It hurt him so much yet he was smiling and it broke our heart. Doctors after doctors but none could give him a proper remedy. Then we went to the best doctor in our locality and then they realized what is it to him."

I listened to her silently. I didn't know how to respond. He has been bearing it all, but the smile never left his eyes. It always shines.

"is it curable?"

She shrugged, " they told him to eat the medicine for whole life, it may hault or pain less."

I hummed.

" Anyways, Zhan told me something about yesterday." She paused as if she was hesitating. Her jittery eyes begged me to give her assurance to continue, and so I did. I blinked twice with a hum.

" He told me, he loves you. Not like a brother. Not like just friends. Just like you. He told me he loves you ardently, in a romantic way."

I was shocked, to say the least. I wasn't expecting Zhan to tell her this early, neither I was expecting her to say it to me like this- in the kitchen while washing dishes.  Like I have seen in those romantic movies there was no background music, there was no pink hue, there was nothing. Instead, all that reached my ears were the gibberish of distant television, the sound of water falling in the sink, and my heartbeat. Probably that's how it happens.

"It may sound foolish, but as a mother, I should ask. Do you love my son just like he does?"

"I do, I certainly do ma'am."

"Then do you think you would love to have him by your side till the end?"

"I do."

"You sure."

"More than anything."

She sighed with glee, and continued with a smile, "I can hear your confirmation by the sternness of your voice. Hmm, my son finally fell in love then. Guess Elizabethia the greatest is finally having a rival and a bold one." I did the same.

At that moment, Zhan came in and kissed his mom's cheek while back hugging me. At first, I was a bit taken aback. But seeing his mom's softened gaze, I eased in his embrace. He was humming a tune I didn't know... and after cleaning the dishes all of us joined his father and Elizabethia the greatest. We were happy. Genuinely. I am happy.

 I am happy