Chapter 7. An Assistant Or A Wife

Braxton couldn't seem to stop the annoying twitch in the upper right corner of his mouth no matter how much he tried as he stood back, arms crossed, feet apart watching intensely as the twins and their fathers and their grandfather surrounded Laila.

Where exactly were their wives? His assistant was about to have a nervous melt down surrounded by so much testosterone and this wasn't just any male testosterone, but alpha testosterone all coming at the poor girl at once.

He didn't like it. Not one bit...

All the men were married and still very much in love with their wives, there was no reason for him to feel the way he was...but...Laila bumped into Bryan and then backed into Darren trying to get away from Bryan and then practically fell on Taylor. And then they were all touching her trying to hold her steady!

Braxton saw red. Enough of this!

He charged over and picked her up in his arms to Laila's embarrassment. "I think I'm going to let Laila rest for a few minutes. She's clearly flustered and tired after spending so much time setting up this event," he told the men. "Good day to you all."

He didn't bother to turn around as he carried Laila away and totally ignored the snickering coming from the men.

"Braxton, what on earth are you doing? I am embarrassed enough as it is stumbling in front of such important men and now you whisk me off in your arms and carry me away as if I need to be rescued like some sappy romance novel!"

"You did need to be rescued," Braxton told her. "Seriously, Laila do I need to take you to the doctor and have him look you over for defects in your limbs? Never met a woman so clumsy in my life."

"I thought you found it "adorable".

"I do, but only with me, not other men."

"What?!" Laila stared upside his head in confusion. "And put me down, you Black Tarzan! You're embarrassing me. Everyone is looking!"

"Don't give a damn," Braxton said as he continued to carry her possessively in his arms.

"This is not professional at all! Stop it before people think we're sleeping together!" Laila began to kick her legs.

Her shoe went flying off and hit a man in the back of his head as they passed by. She squealed at seeing that and hid her face in Braxton's shoulder. "Oh my god," she moaned.

Braxton chuckled. "He's fine. He's just looking around to see where that shoe came from."

"Walk faster! Hurry!" Laila told him.

Braxton laughed again as he made his way into his mother's home. Laila didn't open her eyes until he carried her in an empty room and sat her on a couch. "You're safe now. You can let go of me, unless you want to hold on to me which I wouldn't mind," Braxton grinned down at her.

Laila quickly let him go and sat stiffly on the couch. "This is just getting...bad..."

Braxton walked over to a bar and poured her a glass of wine. "Here," he handed it to her.

"Thank you," she told him. She looked around. "Where are we?"

"One of mother's many living rooms or study or sunroom...I don't know...she has so many rooms she doesn't even use in this house, I'm surprise she doesn't get lost every day. It's only her and my father now. I've asked them to downgrade, but this place holds a lot of memories. She raised us here."

"You and your sister, right?" Laila asked as she sipped on the wine.

"Yeah. My sister sometimes comes and stays with her for the summer. She brings her husband and three kids with her. Mom, loves it when she does that. Fills the house with joy and laughter and love she says. Of course, when they leave, she feels the emptiness too. I visit when I can, but...I have a very busy life..."