Chapter 12. A Taste of Happiness

He was waiting for her in the park when Joffrey opened the door for her, standing a few feet away, tall, confident and handsome as hell. He had changed into blue jeans and a nice green oxford sports shirt that complimented his chocolate brown skin.

Laila nearly swooned when he began to walk to her, his stride masculine and sexy. Once again, she wondered if this was all a dream. How could she of all people catch the heart of this man, a man that caused every female to stare at him with hunger in their eyes, and she meant every female of all races were staring him down at the park, even the ones pushing their babies in a stroller... with their husbands. And yet, he ignored all of them, his brown eyes only focused on her.

He stood in front of her and smiled down at her. Never in her entire life had she seen or been with a man so handsome, he was perfect in every way. What did he want with her country butt, when he could have a sophisticated, beautiful, elegant woman like Alexa?

Braxton continued to look at Laila who was gazing up at him with a dreamy, strange expression on her face. "You're tipsy, aren't you?" he asked chuckling softly.

"Are you...real?" Laila asked and reached out to poke at his broad chest.

Braxton let out a deep rich laugh and stared down at her with tenderness. "Are you?" he asked raising his large hand to caress her cheek. "Because I constantly ask myself that after finding you...a woman who I thought would never exist in real life."

"I never thought you'd exist either," Laila told him. "You're like one of those rich, young businessmen I read about in Forbes magazines that looks like a model."

Braxton grinned. "I'm glad you're attracted to me, it would be a downer if you weren't."

"Oh, stop it," Laila slapped his chest. "You know you're good-looking!"

"And you're breathtaking," Braxton told her. "I love this dress on you," he frowned. "Don't ever wear it in public again."

And the romantic moment between them was broken...

She put her hands on her hips. "And why can't I wear it in public?" she challenged.

"It attracts too much attention, look around you...too many men staring at my woman."

"Alright Mr. Caveman, you don't control what I wear...ever! Get that? If I want to come out in daisy dukes and a skimpy tank top, you will have no say so in it."

"Oh, I will be saying a lot, believe me and you would never leave the apartment like that, I wouldn't let you."

"Well, it's a good thing I don't live with you so you can't stop me from leaving my apartment."

"Can I?" Braxton raised an eyebrow meeting her challenge.

Laila blinked. Ok...he probably could....

"You're too controlling," she told him.

Braxton sighed. "I know, I'm trying to work on it, so I don't keep pissing you off. I've never been in love before, it brings out all types of feelings I've never felt before. I'm having a hard time dealing with them. It's one intense feeling after the next and I just react to it, that's why I need a woman like you in my life, sweet, and sassy, don't put up with my shit...constantly puts me in my place."

"Yeah, that's going to get tiring after a while the constantly putting you in your place part," Laila said.

Braxton burst out laughing. "I love you..." He hadn't meant to say it, but it just came out like the most natural thing in the world.

He watched her face turn pink and smiled warmly. "I'm sorry...I know it's too soon for you to hear me say that. I don't expect you to say it back any time soon. I hope you do...one day..." he looked at her wistfully before clearing his throat and turning away causing Laila's heart to ache.