Chapter 9. A Simple Breakfast

It was 10:00pm when the Laila finished directing the cleanup crew, paying the caterers and confirming everyone had enjoyed the party as they left. She was exhausted. After they said goodbye to his family, Braxton walked her to his car and opened the door for her. He waited until she sat down before he reached for her seat belt.

"I can fasten my own seat belt," she protested as he strapped her in. "I'm not a baby."

"You're exhausted, honey. Looks like you're about to fall asleep any second. Can't take any chances with you," he told her seriously, then his lips turned up into a smile. "And you're my baby."

Laila sighed, damn him and his words. She was too tired for her heart to start fluttering like a butterfly. She closed her eyes for a moment as Braxton ran around and got into the driver's seat.

Laila awakened to something big and warm against her back. She slowly opened her eyes in confusion. A heavy muscular arm was wrapped around her waist. Her heart began to pound when she realized who was sleeping behind her. The last thing she remembered was resting her eyes in the car, she had only meant for it to be a little while. She must have passed out immediately.

"You're awake." Came the deep masculine voice from behind her, all husky and sexy from sleep, that sent shivers down her spine.

"How...why am I in YOUR bedroom? Oh my god, what happened last night? What did we do?"

Braxton's arm tighten around her, pulling her closer to his body. "We didn't DO anything. I told you I wouldn't touch you until you started the divorce."

Laila realized she was still fully dressed. Only her shoes were off. "This is highly inappropriate, Braxton. I still work for you as your assistant regardless of your...feelings for me."

"You make it sound as if I have a crush on you," Braxton said sitting up on one arm. "It's so much more than that...I told you yesterday your future with me." He leaned over and whispered hotly in her ear, his lips caressing her sensitive earlobe. "Should I show you instead?" he teased.

Laila jumped as if he'd burnt her. Her body was completely awake now and unnaturally energized. She rolled out of the bed which seem to take forever because of its massive size and rolled herself right onto the floor. She landed on the carpet with an embarrassing thump.

"Dammit!" She heard Braxton curse and sling the covers off himself. He ran around the bed worried that she'd hurt herself.

Laila just laid there too embarrassed to get up.

"Laila, are you alright?" His strong arms swooped down and lifted her into his lap. He sat on the side of the bed staring down at her.

She refused to look up into his handsome face. Instead, she hid her face in his chest. "There was no ending in sight. It just seemed to go on forever. I never saw it coming. What type of bed do you have?!" she said sounding traumatized.

His chest suddenly began to shake. She realized he was trying not to laugh and failed miserably. He let out a loud laugh that filled the room. She also heard another giggle...a female's voice. She gasped and pulled away from him.

"Is there another woman in here? Did you bring a date over?"

That stopped him from laughing. He glared down at her. "Did you not remember anything I said to you, yesterday? I know you passed out from having too much alcohol on a half empty stomach and fatigue, but I'd think you'd remember something!"

"I remember everything perfectly except passing out. I remember getting into your car and then waking up in your bed, not mine! Now who is here?!" Laila looked around.