Chapter 2. First Impressions - The Interview

Laila stared up at the huge intimidating building she would be entering for her interview and took in a deep breath. "It's your day, girl. You got this!" she said to herself as walked in. What the hell had Titus been thinking to get her an interview with such an influential man? Braxton McCrane was in SF magazine as one of the top CEO in the city right along with those twins that he was partners with. The twins ran a high security business, that had been passed down from their parents and Braxton was their best friend and business partner. Titus knew she was underqualified for the job and yet, he still managed to get her an interview with this man.

She looked around at the people walking around dressed a lot more professional than herself. Was business casual ok? She wore slacks and a pink blouse and high heel shoes she could barely walk in. She wasn't very comfortable in her clothes, they were a little tight from the weight she'd gained from stress eating. Maybe he wouldn't notice the little hole in the back of her pants that sat right beneath her buttocks. Hopefully, her top did a great job covering it. She stumbled into the elevator and fell against the number she was supposed to push. Damn these high heels, she could never get her balance in them, but she wanted to look somewhat professional. Luckily, no one was in the elevator. She took in another deep breath and soothe down her pants as the elevator shot up to the 10th floor.

"He's going to send me running and crying out of his office, I already know," she said to herself. "What the hell am I doing? Guess today is a good day to make a fool out of myself..." She certainly felt like one. Titus had set her up for failure. The guy was sweet and had a good heart. She owed him so much for taking her under his wings after what happened to her, which was why she went ahead with this torture. At least she tried...that's what she'd say when Mr. McCrane sent her flying out of the office on her ass.

The elevator doors open and she smiled at the receptionist. "Good morning, I'm here for an interview with Mr. McCrane," she told her.

The receptionist frowned and looked her over. "We already filled the file clerk position if that what's you're here for."

Laila refused to let her smile falter. "No, I'm here for the executive assistant position," she said sweetly.

The reception looked her over once more and covered her mouth. "Oh yes, the executive assistant position. Have a seat and I'll call him."

Laila nodded, eyeing the blonde suspiciously before sitting down. Was she laughing at her? Not that she blamed her...

She watched her call the man that was going to kick her out as soon as he saw her and wondered once again what she was doing here. "He's on the phone right now, but he said to send you down. His office is all the way at the end of the hallway, number 1021."

"Thank you," Laila told her.

She walked down the hallway as dignified as she could with her head held up even if she was about to humiliate herself. She could hear the receptionist snickering loudly.

Braxton was still on phone when she knocked on his door. He beckoned for her to come in and nearly dropped the phone when she took one step in and tripped right in front of him. He winced as she crashed to the floor, her face hitting the carpet.

"Jesus Christ!" he muttered. "Whinston, I'll call you back!" he told his client and hung up. He ran around his desk to help her up.

Laila just laid there, sprawled face down on the floor not moving.

"Are you ok?" he asked reaching down to help her up.

"No, I'm not ok," she mumbled wishing the floor would open and swallow her. "I'm dead. I've died. You can call the ambulance to pick up the body. Just walk out of this office and don't look at me again. I know I don't have the job."