Chapter 8

Duke didn't believe he was addicted to alcohol. Others have said, more precisely Rick but he always felt he could control it. Sitting in the wheel chair near the fire watching as the sun descend from the night sky. He became anxious and when Tala walked back through that door, he understood the true meaning of addiction. 

His lungs releasing tension he held their since the moment she left him in her home. The warmth of the home did nothing to chill his body from the weight of anxiety. Her arrival back solidify what he was already become aware of, she was his addiction. Alcohol didn't appear on his mind however the angel who rescued him, put his mind at ease... she was intoxicating. 

He had not planned to have kissed her in such a manner but he didn't regret it. Her lips were even more divine than he had dreamed would be. He was fully conscious for this kiss and after she began moving with him, he could feel his blood begin running south. He couldn't due much more... at least not now. With that thought, he released her lips but lingered feeling her breath mingle with his own. His eyes opening to find her coffee pair of doe eyes gazing into his own. The sultry look he received making him eager to heal quickly... he could only hope. 

Feeling a soft weight on his leg, his eyes look down to find Bear's chin resting on his leg looking up at him before flickering to Tala. Her soft giggles breaking the tension as she stands up. Duke's hand going to rub the dogs head with a gentle smile on his lips. His eyes going back up to Tala who had disappeared, he presumed to check on Rick again. A moment later she comes back out throwing her hair up into a messy bun. She goes to the kitchen opening cabinets before throwing in a bag of popcorn into the microwave. She leans against the counter seeming deep in thought. Duke's gaze not being able to pull away watching her every move intently. 

"Did you have any problems with.." his voice trailing off gesturing to the door. 

Snapping out of her haze, she bites her lower lip before shaking her head negatively. Duke's heart feeling heavy momentarily thinking of the captain. His short conversations he had before the accident invading his mind. He was an ass. Squeezing his eyes shut, his hand continues rubbing over Bear's head trying to not think about what can't be changed. 

A heavenly scent evades his nostrils making him inhale deeply. He turns his attention as Tala is walking back into the room with a bowl of popcorn. She sets it down on the table before going behind him and wheeling him over to the couch. Placing the brakes on, she helps him up before settling him back into the couch. He adjust to make room for her beside him. She takes the hint and sets down beside him first propping a pillow under his leg then picking up the bowl of popcorn placing it on her lap. 

"Open up"

His brows furrow in confusion before she opens her mouth showing him what she wanted. He does so and she shoots a piece of popcorn at him hitting his cheek. Both of them chuckling at her failed attempt. He grabs it from his chest before popping it in his mouth. 

"This is so good.." he groans not remembering the last time he had something as simple as popcorn. He reaches for another but she smacks his hand. His eyes going to her to see her opening her mouth again. He rolls his eyes playfully but obliges. She shoots this time and it lands in his mouth. Her hand shooting up as a 'yes' escapes her triumphantly. 

"You don't eat popcorn?" She ask before feeding him a piece this time. 

He shrugs, "Not in a while... I can't remember the last time I could just.. sit back and relax."

"Wow... I would be lost without it." She says grinning as she throws a piece in her mouth. He grins shaking his head gently in return. "What kind of job do you have that keeps you busy?"