Chapter 18

"Duke can you take this?"

Duke turns to the angelic voice giving a gentle smile as he takes the bag she has in her hands. It is only when he looks down does he recognize the bag. His head snapping up to hers as she continues packing things in a different bag. 

"Tala, where did you find this?"

She takes a second to look back at the bag in his hands. It was his bag from the flight. He had no idea she had found it. His heart was drumming in his ears thinking if she opened it. He was not proud of the alcohol bottles he was sure were inside... or the remains of them. He couldn't imagine any of them surviving the crash. 

"I found it on the trip I took for the captain."

He looks down at the bag as his mind drifts back to the man who did not survive. Feeling a gentle touch to his arm, he blinks looking back at her warm coffee eyes. Those eyes holding the silent understanding of where his mind had went to. She gives his arm a firm squeeze and a reassuring smile before going back to the bag. 

With a heavy sigh, he puts the bag on the counter top and opens it up. The strong smell of whiskey wafts in the air. He finds his clothes strung about, a travel case that he doesn't remember packing, and then he found it. The remains of a broken bottle littered near the bottom. He leans closer and carefully picks up a piece of it. His mind once again lost to the deafening memory of the plane. 

He is drowning in his own thoughts when a pair of soft arms encircle him from behind. Her hands laying flat on his stomach as her head leans against his spine. He drops the piece of shard glass and lays his hand on top of hers. He closes his eyes trying so hard to not crumble. After a moment, Tala begins to wiggle behind him before she rounds him to take the bag. He continues to look at her as she walks it over to the sink. All Duke could due was lean against the counter and watch while she carefully takes out each article of clothing shaking it gently just in case of any glass before setting it aside. She continues to do so until all that remains in the bag is what his life revolved around. He can see how her complexion has changed and she gulps before walking over to the trash can and dumping out the remains. The sounds of the glass tinkering all the way until they sit at the bottom of the trash. Duke felt a lump in his throat as she turned to him. 

Neither of them say anything as their eyes continue to speak volumes. Duke's holding the sorrow and self loath for all the pain those remains remind him of. Tala's showing she is worried but more importantly she is concerned. She places the empty bag back down on the counter before walking up to him and wrapping her arms around his neck pulling him down to her. He drops his head to her shoulder and holds onto her like his life depended on it. He didn't want to go down that path anymore. She turns her head on his chest gently kissing him through the material of his shirt. A wave of emotions come crashing down onto Duke. He crumbles and cries, he won't admit it but he is terrified. He wasn't kidding when he told Rick he needed her. His angel, his savior. 

After some time, Duke collects himself and straightens himself letting Tala know he is okay. She releases him and gives him a quick look over before stepping away. It is only then they notice Bear sitting next to their legs. Both chuckle gently as they reach down to rub the dog affectionately. His tongue lulling out in a happy manner.

"I'm going to pack a few things in the back room, could you go make sure Rick is ready?"

Duke nods and gives Bear one more good rub before walking off doing as he was told. He knocks on the door hearing Rick holler a come in. He opens the door to find his friend sitting up in the bed. His face holding so much color then previously. Tala has taken excellent care of both of them and it clearly shows. Rick beams him a smile. "Is it time?!"