Chapter 20

"What the fuck was that Elliot!" Duke yelled still holding the trembling brunette firmly to his chest. 

Elliot rolled his eyes and straightened out his suit before meeting his eyes. "Don't acted surprise Duke. You are all the world is interested in right now. It's not everyday someone comes back from the dead..." His eyes glancing down to the lady in his arms before settling back on Duke. "Especially with a leading lady. It will be the front of every magazine tomorrow."

Tala's body went rigid. Duke began to gently rock her in his arms. He was already regretting returning. Maybe he should have just stayed in the cabin and sent Rick back. Hell, they wouldn't send anyone if it was just Rick. His jaw locked knowing his thoughts were accurate. Feeling Tala beginning to soften helped ease his mind. Her hand laid on his chest against his heart and he could feel her finger gently tapping to the beat. He closed his eyes and allowed the outside world dissolve for just a moment as her aroma helped his mind ease and her tapping a gentle reminder that he wasn't alone. 

"So, Dr. Young..." Duke heaved in deeply not ready for whatever bullshit was going to fall out of his mouth. "With Rick now in our capable doctors' hands, do you need us to drop you somewhere?"

"Elliot, I swear to God- SHUT THE FUCK UP!" Duke roared making the man look as if he had just got slapped. "She is with me, she will continue to be with me, and if you have a fucking problem with it then you can go to hell!"

Elliot opened his mouth to retort but Tala lifted her head out of Duke's neck facing the man dead on. Her body rotating making certain parts of Duke come to life. He shifted slightly trying to keep it at a minimum. Her back now all he could see. 

"If it hasn't been obvious yet, let's make this crystal clear. Until Duke decides otherwise, you will be seeing a lot of me so let's at least act civil because I can promise you, I know how to inflict pain as much as I know how to fix it. Keep acting like a prick, and I will show you what my pricks can do."

Duke smirked thinking back to her needles and how she knocked Rick out a few times when he was being stubborn. His eyes going to Elliot who was studying her before glancing to him then back to her. He locked his jaw and shifted his body towards the window effectively ending the conversation. 

Tala rotated back into his chest but didn't' bother getting off his lap. Duke was not upset by any means and accommodated her body to his. Her head resting on his shoulder as her hand traveled back up his chest to lay against his beating heart once more. He leaned back against the seat resting his head as the car drove silently down the highway. 

Tala's chest began to vibrate making him open his eyes to see what she was silently laughing at. She nudged her head to where Bear was sitting directly in front of Elliot. His eyes narrowed as he continued to stare at him. The best part was that Elliot continue to glance at the dog before quickly turn his eyes to the window once again. It was clear that he was uncomfortable but didn't want to test the dog any further. Duke began to silently laugh as well lifting his mood. 

Duke was happy when he began recognizing his surroundings. He nudged his shoulder making Tala lift her head. He pointed out the window to one of the houses on the hill. "That's our home."

She leaned closer to the window as the car began curving up the road towards their destination. Duke sighed in relief when the car rounded the driveway. Paparazzi was not allowed up this way so luckily, they didn't have to worry about that again... at least not tonight. The driver opened his door, and he swung his body towards the door. Tala went to open her mouth, but he just shook his head. She shook her head but didn't protest as he got out of the car. He whistled and heard Bear jump out of the door behind him. The driver was already retrieving their bags from the trunk.