Chapter one

"Alpha, there was an attack from the North border!"

"Are you all fine?"

"Nobody got injured, but there was a message for you."

Rolus sighed, his heart heavy with regret. He could feel the dread settle in his gut. "What did they say?"

The Pack warrior, Samuel, replied, "Alpha Luke awaits the day you die, then he will take the Pack. It will be his decision to show us mercy, but if we don't deserve his generosity, he will slaughter us all."

Rolus' heart hardened, accompanied by a terrible cough. Samuel quickly filled a glass with water and helped his Alpha drink. Rolus could feel his heart beat terribly, louder even because Samuel heard it too.

Of course it would be the Alpha of the Black Moon Pack to attack them when he was at his lowest. Alpha Luke loathed him, his Pack and everything Rolus had. He had been targetting Creek Pack since he learned about the sickness that had befallen Rolus. If it wasn't for Creek Pack's strong warriors, the Black Moon Pack would have invaded them a long time ago.

"Thank you. You may go now. Please tell Beta Sierra to calm the Pack down. You are excused," Rolus said, rubbing his temples gently. The headache was bound to surface to destroy him. He could feel it creeping, knocking and demanding for him to let it in.

Samuel cast him a worried glance, but left his office as requested.

Rolus is the Alpha of Creek Pack. He has been sick for a year. The Pack doctors think it is because he has not found his mate. After all, it has been seven years since he was supposed to have found his other half. Rolus told them his mate died, that's why he was sick. That was a lie.

His health has deteriorated to the point where he is bedridden, but because of his stubbornness, he refuses to be hooked to machines. He instead looked at paperwork in his office, the walls suffocating him and his world crumbling down.

He knew he did not have much time left. It was only a matter of time before he went rogue and died. Well, that's what the Pack doctor told him. The best chance he had at escaping death was finding his mate, but since he claimed that his mate died, he had no chance. The only thing keeping him alive now was his wolf, but he could feel it start to lose the battle.

His mind conjured all kinds of scenes of how he would die. He thought of being attacked by Alpha Luke from the Black Moon Pack and being unable to defend himself. He thought about how he would go rogue and eventually die because of his lonely heart. He thought of killing himself before his situation worsened, but that was unlikely because he did not have the balls to do that.

But who was he to think all that when he brought all these misfortunes to himself?

Before he could fall deeper into his thoughts, a knock on the door disturbed him. He raised his head to look into the eyes of Beta Sierra, who bowed and entered the office. Her red hair flowed, her hazel eyes blank. She was a strong and powerful Beta who wanted nothing but the best for the Pack. Her warrior mate shared the same values as her - protecting the Pack.

"Did Samuel tell you about the attack?" Rolus asked, his voice a bit groggy. He cleared his throat and awaited her answer.

"Yes, Alpha. I told the guards to enforce the border with more of them and instructed the pups to not play near the woods unattended. Everything is in order," she replied, her voice void of any emotions.

"Thank you."

She flashed him a tight-lipped smile and turned around to leave. Before she could close the door, he called out to her.

"Yes?"

It pained him to see her act so indifferent towards him. They were once so close and happy together until about a year ago when Rolus became sick. They had a fight that was brutal and deadly, all because he provoked her. She was fighting for Rolus to be honest with her about why he couldn't find his mate. She did not believe him about the hollowness he felt in his heart due to his mate dying. He did feel the hole in his heart, but she did not believe him.