Chapter 6

"What...?" your voice was barely above a whisper. You backed up slowly, feeling tears make their way into your eyes. Byakuya just wanted...to protect you guys. Who would do something so horrible to someone so selfless!?

You felt yourself bump into someone. "L-L/N-san, are you okay!?" the person squeaked, gently putting her hands on your shoulders. The concern and kindness in her voice was too much for you and you hugged her tightly.

It...might've been Mikan who was killed. It could've been her laying on the floor in a pool of her own blood. "L/N-san.." Mikan's voice was soft as to not provoke you. Haha...Mikan was just too nice for her own good. She was too pure for this world.

"I'm sorry...it's just that Byakuya is, well, you know..." you said, wiping your tears away. Mikan smiled at you gently and rubbed your shoulder. "It's going to be alright. B-Byakuya was a good person...and to see him d-dead..." Tears began welling up in Mikan's eyes.

You rubbed her head and calmed her down. Well, as the Ultimate Caretaker, it was your duty to take care of everyone and make sure the death of their friend doesn't get to them. It was all scary and...despair-inducing.

Not for Mikan though.

The young nurse was absolutely thrilled to see Byakuya dead. The filthy bastard put their hands all over her beloved's body, and this was the payback. Oh, she just had to congratulate the killer in private after this!

Mikan squeezed her thighs together, wiping the drool that was yet to seep from her mouth. She saw you talking to Nagito, looking stressed and nervous. Nagito put his hand on your shoulder and said some words that brought comfort to you, or so it seemed.

She should've been the one to comfort you. She should be the only one that mattered to you! So Mikan walked over to Nagito once you finished talking to him. She put on her sensitive shy girl act and smiled nervously at Nagito.

"K-Komaeda-kun...I'd like to speak to you for a few m-moments, " said Mikan, pressing her index fingers against each other. Nagito smiled airily and followed Mikan to a lonely corner. There, Mikan dropped her act and grabbed Nagito by his shirt.

"Listen here, you fluffy-haired marshmellow bitch, " growled Mikan. Nagito's eyes widened in shock to see the usually quiet and shy nurse curse at him like that. "Ts-Tsumiki-san...?" Nagito trembled in Mikan's harsh grip.

"I see you and L/N-san are all buddy-buddy. Look here, they're mine. I love them so much, so do you really think I'm going to let someone with cloud hair that looks like a used ass wipe steal them away from me? Jeez, you're an idiot, " Mikan snarled angrily.

Nagito jumped at all of her insults. "U-Used ass wipe, huh...?" murmured Nagito quietly. Mikan pushed the boy away and glared at him. Nagito felt like a small and helpless puppy being cornered by a bigger dog, the bigger dog being Mikan.

"L/N-san is too pure and lovely to be tainted by filth like you. Ahaha...the thought of them hugging you just makes me want to..." Mikan pushed Nagito against the wall and put her knee to his throat, "kill you in a petrifying way..."

She put her leg down and put on her innocent act. The both of them went their seperate ways, Nagito not even taking a second glance at the girl. But deep inside, Nagito was filled with admiration and adoration.

It was so beautiful...the way Mikan would do anything for you. Such hope.

Mikan made her way towards you, glowing with fake innocence. "Miki-chan, where was Pekoyama-san, do you know?" you asked. Mikan privately wished you wouldn't care about anyone else. "I'm not sure..." she mumbled.

You stroked your chin and thought over the death of Byakuya. Mikan was busy running an autopsy so that we could know more about it. Better wait for her, then. You walked over to Ibuki, finding comfort in the energetic girl.

Ibuki made you feel a little better. "Mioda-san, do you know anything about this case?" you asked. "Nope! Ibuki knows nothing! All I heard were the sounds everyone made during the blackout! Ibuki has sharp ears, y'know?" said Ibuki, saluting.

Huh, that could come in as useful. She might've heard the sound of a knife piercing through flesh, or maybe some sounds of struggle from the killer. "Thanks, Mioda-san! Your ears might've saved us all!" you said cheerfully. Ibuki hugged you, her face red.

Mikan clenched her fists and watched you wistfully, wishing that you were hugging her instead. Why does Ibuki get to touch you like that? She wanted to touch you like that! She knew she was repeating things over and over, but she was obsessed with you!

You didn't acknowledge Mikan's distress and just spoke to everyone. It seemed like the most frustrated was Hajime, and you could understand why. He had to bear the stress of Byakuya's death and not knowing his Ultimate talent.

"Hey, Hinata-kun...?" you spoke quitely as to not disturb the boy too much. "Hm?" he replied shortly. "Hinata-kun, please don't stress yourself out too much. You're not alone in solving this case, we're all in this together, " you said pleasantly.

Hajime clenched his fist and sighed. He gave you a tired smile and nodded. You smiled back at him and went back to talking to the other pupils. 

Time skip~

"Alright, time's up!" shouted Monokuma's voice through the monitor. You gritted your teeth and turned around. Monokuma had said something about a class trial, so was it tike for that? Suppose so.

You held Mikan's hand as you walked out of the restaurant. Mikan blushed at the contact, her heart beating rapidly. She loved moments like this where you would just...notice her. She wanted you to notice her only.

Everyone gathered in front of Monokuma Rock. It was a big rock statue of Monokuma and it was laughing, almost mocking you all. Your grip on Mikan's hand tightened as a giant escalator stretched out before everyone.

"I-I'm scared..." you mumbled. Mikan squeezed your hand and smiled at you. "Don't worry, you'll be just fine, " said Mikan, calming you nerves. The both of you stepped onto the escalator, taking one last deep breath.

Now it was your turn to assure her everything was fine.