{Prologue}

Tall.

That had been first thing Brianna noticed about Wyatt Paxton. He was tall, skinny too, and he looked like he'd never done a day of work in his life.

Brianna couldn't help but chuckle as he had to stoop to step into the house, she quickly sobered though, when when he father glanced at her from beside the door.

"Mayor Paxton," He father greeted the other tall man with salt and peppered hair, before turning to "Wyatt."

Wyatt's blonde hair was cut closely to his ears, his navy suit starched to perfection, and his eyes- the color of the cornflowers- were carefully assessing her from head to toe. His lips lightly touched her gloved hand and Brianna tried to smile in return. "Always a pleasure, Miss. Rosen." He quietly mutters, his eyes finally meeting her own cerulean ones.

Mayor Paxton's son, Wyatt, was as charming as they came and at first, Brianna was entranced. His smile was the most charming she had ever seen, and as a seventeen year old girl, she felt like a princess when he aimed it at her. When he told her things like how beautiful she was and how he admired her intelligence... Well, she was almost positive it was love.

Their arranged courtship was a common discussion among the towns people. Everybody was always talking about how they were the most handsome couple and how Brianna was absolutely lucky to be engaged to the man who was sure to be the next mayor.

For the first few months, Brianna thought they were right; but, now, standing just outside the blacksmith's forge, she realized she was wrong.

The note telling her to meet him outside the post office for lunch slips through her fingers, fluttering onto the dusty ground, just as Wyatt pulls Annie, the daughter of the town's blacksmith, closer to him with a groan.

She felt many emotions as she watched her fiancé kiss the young, beautiful redhead, against the forge's large stone fireplace, but none of them were heartbreak.

"What about Brianna?" She hears Annie ask between kisses.

"We're not married yet." Wyatt responds in a lazy drawl. "Plus," He softly whispers, his hands roaming around Annie's body inappropriately, causing Brianna to look away. "You're so much more beautiful."

"You dirty cad." The words leave Brianna's mouth before she can stop them.

Shocked, Annie gasps, shoving Wyatt away from her. Wyatt, not expecting the shove, stumbles, falling down onto a shelf of tools.

Brianna spares nothing but a glance at Annie before leaving as Wyatt curses in pain.

"Brianna! Brianna, darling." Wyatt comes up behind her and she start making her way down the street. "Brianna, stop!"

When Wyatt grabs her arm and she instantly pulls it away.

"You louse." She shouts at him, as he again, grips her arm, more harshly this time.

"Do not walk away from me." His tone has completely changed.

"Let me go Wyatt." Her voice trembles, not with sadness but fear. His grip is causing pain to shoot up her arm. This is a side of Wyatt she's never seen and it scares her.

"She means nothing to me, Brianna." He pulls her against him. "We have a history and I was just saying goodbye in preparation for our wedding."

"That's not what it looked like." She mutters, still trying to get her arm free. No, to her it looked like her fiancé was getting a head start on having mistresses. "And I don't think I can marry someone who is unfaithful like that, Wyatt. I refuse to marry someone who doesn't love me enough to be faithful."

"Don't be like that, Brianna." He growls, his grasp growing tighter. "You know damn well that you cannot cancel our engagement."

"I don't want to marry you. I-I-I can't."

"You cannot cancel our arrangement!"

"Once I speak to my-"

Wyatt suddenly raises his hand in the air, above her head, and she flinches, stopping her action.

"That's a warning, my darling. I've made a mistake, one that will not be spoken of again."

He suddenly releases her arm, and a horrified Brianna stumbles back.

"I will call around supper time and you will be receptive toward your fiancé."

Dread fills Brianna she watches her fiancé walk away. She would talk to her father, she determined. He would cancel his arrangement with the mayor and allow her to break her engagement.
———
"Papa," Brianna sighs later that night, looking at her father from across the table. He's aged so much since her mother's death three years ago. Most of his hair has turned gray, the wrinkles on his face have become more prominent, and there's a sadness in his eyes that never seems to leave. "I don't think I can marry Wyatt." Her father's fork clatters against the tin plate as she continues. "I know that you and Mayor Paxton have arranged it for the betterment of the town, but-"

"Exactly, Brianna." He father says, continuing to his supper, just as someone knocks on the door followed by a voice. "The future mayor also owning the mercantile would help the town run smoothly."

"But Papa," She starts, growing nervous as she hears Wyatts voice at the door. "I don't want-"

"In life we make sacrifices Brianna," The greying man interrupts her so that's she unable to discuss Wyatt' unfaithfulness. "I've made hundreds of sacrifice for you, now put on a smile, and invite your fiancé in for supper." His tone was stern and Brianna knew there was only one thing to say.

"Yes, Papa." After all, how could she argue with the only man that had ever loved her, the man that had raised her.

And so, the seventeen year old straightened her shoulders, forced a bright smile, and went to the door, greeting her fiancée, the only man to raise a hand at her.

***
Guys!!!
I'm trying my hand at third person and historical writing.

Leave me comments please!