{4. Their Travels- part 1}

It only takes me a few moments to change from my night dress and into the baby blue Sunday dress I laid out last night. I know Beau wouldn't disrespect me, he will have a plan for us the marry today. Anything else would be improper and shameful. I quickly undo my night braids and twist my hair into a tight chignon before grabbing the large carpet bag from the foot of the bed, I slowly make my way out the side door of the Papa's store.

My feet falter as I see Beau's wagon. I was really doing this - running away. My eyes drift to Beau himself, sitting on the wagon bench. His hat is in the seat next to him, my seat, while his head hangs down, resting in his open palms.

"Good morning." My whisper causes his head to shoot upward. He seems to blink a few times before jumping down from the wagon.

"I didn't think you'd come out." He says, approaching me, wiping his hands down his Sunday outfit. The green shirt matches his dark forest colored eyes, and the brown pants look brand new. "Is that all?" he questions, frowning while motioning to the bag that holds all my important earthly possessions.

"You said pack light." I tell him, handing him the bag. "Besides, it's all I need." After taking the bag, he reaches into his breast pocket and pulls out a folded piece of paper.

"Can you take this inside?" He requests, handing it to me, a name scribbled out across the front. Harvey. "It's to explain. Just that- I respect him and I want him to know you'll be okay."

Guilt starts to consume me, I'm making Beau go against everything he believes in- but if I don't.. My hand rests against my bruised jaw. I have to go, and if Beau is willing I won't try to be noble- not this time. I'll simply have to do everything in my power to not make him regret this, starting with being the perfect wife.

Taking the note, I nod and it only takes me a minute to take it inside and place it on the mercantile counter next to my own.

"Good-bye Papa." I whisper to the shop door that leads to the small home.

When I walk back outside, Beau has already packed my bag away and is patting the heads of both his mares. The older black stallion, Apache, keeps attempting to bite his hat while the tan horse, Gypsy, continually tries to get his face into the pocket of Beau's pants, looking for a snack no doubt. Beau laughs, pushing Gypsy from him, but when his eyes meet mine the smile falls a little. "Are you ready?" He questions, stepping away from the horses just as my hand comes up to stroke Gypsy's neck.

"I am." I nod, smiling when Gypsy happily snorts as I scratch her nose. Gypsy had always been my favorite considering the fact that Beau broken him just outside the mercantile, letting me help once the horse was able to handle a harness.

"Then I guess we better get going." Beau mutters, holding his calloused hand out to me, helping me into the wagon. Behind the bench is all of Beau's possessions, all neatly packed to the top of the canvas top, my bag placed right behind me. "We're expected three towns over before noon," He climbs into the wagon bench."Once we're married we'll travel until nightfall, when we should come across an inn. Last chance." He tells me, grabbing the harness strap. "Last chance to change your mind."

"Last chance for you to tell me if there's someone else." I retort and Beau simply flicks his wrists that hold the reins, causing the two stallions to start walking. The wagon starts rolling and the only thing left to do is pray that neither of us go on to regret it.

"It'll take a week at best to get there." Beau tells me, breaking the silence he had fallen into. Since leaving the shop, he seemed to have been lost in thought while I tried to keep my panic at bay.

The sun was fully risen now, Papa would be getting up soon. How long would it be before he notices the letters? Before he checks for me?  What if..

"How much longer until we get to the church?" I ask, my last thought making my stomach church as I realize we need to hurry.

"An hour or two," Beau responds, looking at me. "Why?

"What will you do of Wyatt comes to take me back?" My eyes beg him to fight for me, and to not let Wyatt force me to go.

"I will allow you to decide if you'd like to go back or not."

Relief swells in my chest. I was safe now.

We ride in silence, the both of us watching the prairies go by until three towns later.

-

The reverend is standing in the stairs of the small church when the wagon stops in front of it. He's a short, portly old man, dressed in Sunday attire.

"Mr. Locksley," he addresses Beau, who climbs out of the wagon before walking over to my side. " I have the certificate and a witness ready if you'll follow me." He walks into the church while Beau helps me to climb down, the two of us following the reverend.

"Please," he leads us to the office portion at the back of the church. It's a small room with a desks and two bookshelves stocked full. "The children are having their lunch, we must hurry." He motions to the young teen girl in the room already. "This is our town's school marm, Miss. Donavan, who will be your witness."

"Hello." I greet the girl while Beau tips his hat, causing her cheeks to flush.

"If you two will stand facing each other," the reverend tells us as he stands behind his desk, the only thing on it is an open bible. "Now take each others hands, and we'll get started." He commands, looking down at the Bible and reading the characteristics of love.

Suffereth long. Kind. Endureth all things.

While the words are read, my eyes study Beau's face, I've never been this close and able to see so much detail of the handsome man before me. His eyes are angled to the ground but I'm still able to the the dark brown specks that float in the emerald green irises. He has a small scar just above his eyebrow that I never noticed, and can't help but wonder how he got it. His mouth suddenly moves and I listen carefully to the words he steadily speaks.

"I, Beau Locksley, take you, Brianna Rosen, to be my lawfully wife. Here, in the presence of God, I promise my body and soul to you, I take all your faults and strengths, I promise to share in your joy as well as your sorrow. I promise to love you, unconditionally, for all the days of my life." Beau repeats the vows with so much conviction, for a moment I forget that I'm here because I begged him to take me with his. When his voice trembles at the end, I almost believe that he means the words. That he loves me. I'm brought back to reality when a slender golden band is placed on my left ring finger.

"You may kiss your bride, Mr. Locksley." the Reverend tells Beau, whose eyes are darting all around my face. He gently squeezes my hand before leaning toward me and causing my breathing to stop. I had never thought much about kissing Beau, but he has always been patient and kind, and I imagine his kiss would be like that as well.

My eyes squeeze closed with anticipation as I wait for his lips to meet mine. My heart is racing so quickly, I wonder is Beau can feel it. I try to will myself to calm down, this is the man I married, I have to be okay with his kisses because I know there's so much more coming. More that I've promised him when I agreed to have his children. My stomach rolls with anxiety at the thought. In mere hours we'll have to... and there will be... will we feel passion for one another? Will there be the tingles and fireworks Mama talked about?

Warm lips, just touching the corner of my mouth, jerk me from my thoughts. My eyes dart open just in time to see Beau start to pull away.

'That's it?' I wonder, I'm completely bewildered, and dare I was almost disappointed. I hadn't felt anything except a slight tingle which I'm sure is just do to his whiskers coming up.

"Come on, Mrs. Locksley," He gently leads me out of the church. "Let's go home."