{10. A Funny Feeling}

*Please consider re-reading the previous chapter*

Comforting warmth, like I'd never felt before, surrounds me and I squirm to get closer. The hardness against my cheek slowly moves up and down and I sigh against it, refusing to open my sealed eyes. A band across my back tightens, bringing me closer to the warmth.

It takes a few moments for reality to settle in and I realize the band across my lower back is actually Beau's arm. And the warmth that surrounds me is him as we lie tightly pressed together on the small mattress.

He sighs deeply when I move away from him to sit up and I take a moment to look down at sleeping form.

Worry covers his features, the dark circles showing that he's gotten even less sleep than I realized this past week. Slowly I remove myself from the small mattress, careful as to not awaken him.

The light streaming in from the small window shows that it's clearly morning and the quiet whispers below the loft tell me I'm not the only one up.

By the ladder, on the floor, there's a bowl of steaming water with a rag and I quietly use it to wipe my face. Then, as gently as possible, I move to grab the blue and brown calico dress I laid out last night. Beau, has now turned to his back and is frowning in his sleep and I continue to watch his as I change as quick as possible, the lack of a screen between the two of us causing by chest to tremble at an irregular rate.

The closing of the door, just as I clasp the last button, draws my attention away from Beau, but it's drawn right back when he starts to mumble in his sleep.

"Wait."

His eyes remain tightly closed is he fidgets.

"Please. No."

His voice softly begs for something as he stretches his arm and reaches to the empty spot on the mattress.

"Beau." I mutter, approaching the mattress on the floor. "Beau." I try again when he continues to speak in hushed words. He freezes when my hand brushes his face and I say his name for a third time.

Subconsciously, his face nuzzles against my hand, his stubble scratching my palm.

"Bri." He breathes, his eyes fluttering open before he jerks up with a jolt. The surprise of it all sends me from my crouched position to my rear with a loud thump.

"I'm sorry." Beau jumps from the bed, reaching for my upper arms to help pull me up. "Are you okay?" He questions softly as we both stand.

"Yes, are you okay?" I can feel heat in my neck, below my collar starting to build as I keep my eyes above his neck, away from his sleep clothes. " You we're talking in your sleep, it sounded like you were having a nightmare."

His dark brows furrow in confusion for a moment before understanding takes over his features.

"Oh. I'm fine." A pink flush builds up in his cheeks as he speaks. "I don't even remember what it was about, but I'm sorry if I woke you up." He seems to just then notice that I've already dressed for the day as he frowns, glancing at the window.

"I heard Owen and Abigail so I figured I'd get up, but you looked exhausted so I was letting you sleep." I quietly tell him as he reaches for his silver pocket watch on the small table by the window. His eyes widen moments after it swings open.

"It's 8:45." He tells me, rushing to his small carpet bag of clothes before even finishing the sentence. "The sun has been up for three hours."

"Oh." I frown at his panic. Watching as he grips the bottom of him sleep shirt before he pauses, glancing at me.

"I'll go tell Owen you'll be down soon."

He quietly nods, waiting for me to leave. It takes me a few moments to reach the bottom of the ladder, as I do the front door opens.

"Oh, good morning." Abigail smiles as she walks in, wiping her hands on her apron. "I hope you and Beau got some rest and that Owen and I didn't wake you up this morning."

"We slept wonderfully." I tell her honestly. "Thank you."

"Good morning, Beau." She smiles at the man climbing down the ladder behind me.

"G'morning, Abigail." Beau lightly kisses his sister-in-law's cheek before reaching to tuck the rest of his into his slacks. "Owen in the barn?"

"Um, no." Abigail shakes her head. "He's walking the field."

"Thanks." Beau quickly pulls on his boots before again looking at his sister in law. "Make sure she eats something." He points to me, then runs out the door.

"Well, he seems well rested." She laughs, walking toward me and I smile in response. "Before anything else, I feel the need to warn you," Abigail tells me suddenly. "My cousin-"

A loud feminine squeal from outside draws my attention to the widow where I'm able to see a flurry of pink material and dark hair rush to Beau.

My quiet husband, much to my surprise allows the feminine body to wrap it's arm around his neck, pulling him down in a tight embrace at her level.

"That would be Annalise."

"Annalise." My voice sounded odd to my own ears.

"Yes." Abigail moves toward the widow, standing next to me. "My daft cousin who fancies herself in love with your husband."

"Oh." Beau still holds the the young woman to his person, even at this distance I can see the smile of his face. "I hadn't heard about her."

No, I'm not in love with someone in South Dakota.

Worry starts to plague me, he said he wasn't in love, but he could have had an interest in the young cousin of his sister-in-law. Not only that but I've stolen the love of the sweet girl outside.

Abigail lightly touches my shoulder. "I'm sure Beau didn't feel the need to mention her because he only sees her as a sister."

I hum, not my agreement but simply an acknowledgement, watching as the girl finally releases my husband.

"She's a spoiled brat who has endured hardships these past few years, Owen and Beau have shown her brotherly kindness she has never known."

The word brotherly echoes in my mind, as I follow Abigail out of the house.

I've seen Beau's brotherly affection, I was the recipient of it when we were younger. Beau's brotherly affection and it isn't a wide grin that shows his crooked canine or makes the corners of his eyes crinkle. It's not a tight hug that lifts you off the ground and spins you around.

No, Beau's brotherly affection is a small, tight lipped smile, a glance here and there to make sure you're okay, and a gentle pat on the shoulder when you're not.

Seeing Beau's pearly white grin dim to a small brotherly smile at my approach, my stomach fills with a funny feeling.

Please comment! Please. It motivates me to write.