Chapter 11

The fierce chill of the night air froze the tears running down my cheeks. I stood outside the theater building, shivering despite the thick sweater around my arms. My brain refused to comprehend what had happened. I was still hoping that my mate would come running out after me, realizing the mistake he'd made.

It hurt.

I leaned against the brick wall of the theater, finally letting myself release all of the emotions from tonight. I screamed. I bawled like a baby as I punched the wall over and over again. Why?..why!

My fists became numb as I pounded the icy brick repeatedly. I needed to feel something. My wolfs sorrow flowed into mine, and for a moment I forgot to breathe.

"Why do I feel like this?" I hiccuped.

Instead of Tatia's usual comforting words I received silence.

My sobs slowly turned into quiet whines, as I focused on getting my breathing under control. I sank down to the cold ground clutching myself tightly. Farley's beautiful red gown was undoubtedly ruined, but there was no help for it.

I buried my head in my hands, letting the tears freely flow. I'm nobody's mate..
********

"What?!" I screamed over the loud confusion. Did I hear that right?

"An alpha.. has been shot." Eden yelled.

People were swarming out into the streets, the heavy smell of fear laced in the air. My sister was frantically escorting various she-wolves from the building. The pale look on Katherine's face had confirmed the worst. There's been an attack.

"Hurry everyone this way!" Eden said, filing the people into a secure alleyway. A loud pop rang out, then another. What was happening? Katherine ran up to me, gripping my wrist tightly.

"Are you hurt?" She asked, looking me over.

"I- I don't think so." Her emerald eyes swam with pity, taking in the sight of my matted hair and tear-stained cheeks.

"Alpha Rayne gave orders to wait in the back, we need to go..now." She jerked me in the direction the others were running.

"He's still in there?!" I said.

Katherine didn't answer me, and only increased her grip on my arm. Goddess protect them. I was forced, and not at all gently, into a small area were everyone was huddled together.

Such cowards..Tatia finally said.

"Shouldn't someone be helping the others?" I asked, receiving no reply.

Mate could be in trouble..My wolf yipped.

My heart quickened at it's pace. I hadn't thought of that. Didn't Eden say an Alpha had been shot? What if it was-

No.

He doesn't want or need our help. He rejected us remember?

You don't seriously believe he meant it do you? My wolf asked.

Truthfully, I didn't know what I believed anymore. I'd been through an entire lifetime of joy and hurt all in this one night alone. I didn't think I could hardly bear much more. I looked over at Eden and Katherine, who were busy comforting the group of wailing females.

What if mate is hurt? Or worse..what if he's-

"Ok Tatia! I get your point!" I gritted.

Did it ever stop? The tumultuous whirlwind of disaster and pain? My soul felt numb. Long gone was the anxiety and fear I felt from earlier this evening. Someone needed to go back, even if it wasn't me.

I heard the rapid clicking of heels on asphalt coming up behind me. It was Josephine. She looked distraught, clinging to her mates arm for extra support. Her ginger mate on the other hand looked hardly worried.

"Where's Rayne?" I asked her.

I really wanted to ask if my mate was okay.

"He and Jackson ran back the other way." She said breathlessly.

Josephine looked as if she'd seen a ghost. Her mate planted a soft kiss on her forehead, guiding her to the group of girls.

We have to go in there..Tatia said

"Have you seen me? I can barely even walk straight let alone go on a pointless rescue mission." I gestured towards my tattered gown for emphasis.

Then let me do it..she pleaded.

"You can't be serious!" The very idea was insanity.

He needs us Brielle..I can sense it..

Maybe it was the frigid air that clouded my judgment, or the persuasive tendencies of my wolf. No matter the cause, I found myself doing the unthinkable.

I let Tatia take full control, and together we bounded towards the theaters entrance.
********

A/N: what did y'all think? Too cheesy? (Don't answer that)

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share🥺

This chapter is dedicated to @simpleindulgence (be sure to go check out her Draco fanfic as well:)