Chapter 12

It was pitch black. The lights had been turned off, and darkness surrounded us like a blanket. The only light in the entire ballroom came from the faint glow of the chandelier overhead. Tatia strained her ears to pick up any kind of sound. Considering the occurrence of recent events, the building was eerily quiet.

I felt an odd sense of calm. Never had I ever felt this brave, or acted upon such impulse. I looked through my wolf's eyes, straining to see any other living soul besides myself.

The theater was in shambles. The cursed buffet table had been clawed to shreds, dining chairs had been splintered and broken. I looked to the balcony overhead finding it oddly empty.

Where is everyone? I asked.

"I think I hear something back there." My wolf said.

She took off towards the direction of the sound. Her unkempt claws clicking across the marble flooring.

It took me a moment to realize that Tatia was running in the direction of the corridor, and towards the maze of hallways in the back.

If I thought it was dark it the ballroom, it was impossibly black in the labyrinth of shadows. Even with my wolf's gifted eyesight, we were still struggling to navigate down the winding passageway properly.

"Didn't you hear that?" She whispered.

No. What was it..

"I- I'm not sure. It sounded like footsteps. Whoever it is, they must've blocked their scent because I'm having trouble tracking them." Tatia said.

She slowed her pace to a steady creep, using her tracking skills to remain hidden.

POP!

A loud gunshot rang out. It was so close, it couldn't have been more than a few doors down. We took off. But instead of running away from the noise, Tatia ran towards it.

Are you crazy?!

"It's mate. I can smell him."

Goddess.

Now was not the time be throwing myself a pity party. I needed to remain focused.

Tatia creeped towards the door where the shot rang out just moments earlier. The metallic smell of blood hung heavy in the air. A low grumble came from my wolf.

What is it?

"Mates blood"

Tatia eased into the black room, using nothing more than her senses as a guide. The moment she set foot through the door I could tell that something wasn't right. It was cold..unusually cold.

My wolf took on an aura of unexpected dominance, arching her back and baring fangs. She was prepared to fight with her life for the mate that had rejected us.

The door behind us slammed shut.

It was closed with such a force that the walls around it began to crumble.

"You really shouldn't have come back." A voice whispered.

Mate.

Before either of us could react, a sharp pain bloomed at the back of my skull. I could feel consciousness slowly slipping through my fingers, as my wolfs limp body hit the ground.
* * * * * * *

A/N:  hey guys!! Sorry I haven't updated like at all i've just been busy😭

But anyways here's a little something that I hope y'all enjoyed <3

This chapter is dedicated to @morticiaaddams234 for well ya know..reading my stuff;)