Chapter 18 (part 1)

It was three days until Vlad came back. Three long days of loneliness and sleeping. During that time I had nothing but my wolf and raging thoughts to keep me company. "I had to protect her at all costs even if that meant breaking her heart-"   My mate's written words echoed in my mind. So he hadn't rejected me because he didn't want me..he'd rejected me because he did.

The more I thought about Vlad's words, the more I found myself longing to see him. I needed to be near him, to see and smell him. He was already so deeply intertwined into my life and feelings, even though I'd only known him a little over a week. I'd wondered if that was a normal part of having a mate. To miss them so intensely. Maybe it's just a me thing..

I had been sound asleep in bed when Vlad finally came back home. He was so stealthy and quiet that at first I thought it was just the wind whipping against the window.

MATES HOME..Tatia howled.

I immediately shot up in my bed. The room was dark, but I could make out his large form in the shadows.

"Brielle.-

Before he could finish his sentence, I was up and out of bed and into his arms.

"You're back." I whispered, squeezing him tightly.

Hesitantly, he patted my head. I could feel his muscles tense as if he hadn't expected me to hug him. I didn't expect it either. My body had acted of it's own volition.

"I'm sorry I took so long." He whispered back.

He was still tense, and I could hear a faint sound of nerves in his voice. It was such strange thing, seeing him like that. I'd only ever seen him when he was trying to be intimidating. What did he have to be nervous about? Me? As if he could hear my thoughts, he spoke.

"I shouldn't be hugging you."

I released him ever so slightly, not quite ready to let go.

"Vlad I'm- he cut me off

"I just came to say goodnight. These past few days have been rough, and I really should get some rest."

I didn't know how I expected my mate to react, but it wasn't this. I'd expected him to be happy to see me. I figured he must've been really exhausted though, based on his behavior and his eagerness to leave.

I took a few steps back to put some distance between us.

"Okay I understand. Goodnight."

My mate simply grunted before turning and walking out of the room.

I stood still in shock for a few moments, trying to process what had just occurred.

Ugh what is wrong with him! I could feel what he was thinking about us. It was taking him every ounce of strength he had to not take us right then and there. My wolf growled lowly. She was disappointed too.

"Let's just go back to bed Tatia." I sighed.

That night I had a dream that my mate had hugged me back.

* * * * * * * * *

A/n: hello🤺 I hope y'all enjoyed part 1 of chapter 18!!
Part 2 will be coming soon:)
Stay tuned!!
votecommentshare