twenty nine

the pace has slowed from the run that everyone was doing earlier, to now just a walk. you look in front of you and see everyone in their 'formation'. don and gilda have been instructed to walk at the front of the group, you, ray, and emma keep watch behind everyone else. the instructions were to stay in your position and signal if you see anything. so far, nothing has been signaled.

"so what now?" ray asks, looking to you and emma.

"we need water first" emma suggests, "you saw that stream from the view above right? i want to see if it's pure enough to drink".

"good idea" you add.

"i read somewhere once that humans die within three days without water. it's definitely a priority we need to tackle" ray explains.

"we might even be able to catch food" you say with an excited smile.

"so what's after that? do we have a plan on where to go?" ray asks.

he asks too many questions.

"yeah, we're heading south" emma says before she reaches into her backpack, taking out a silver pen. "we have to go see mr. minerva in area b06-32".
you and ray glance at each other in confusion before looking back at emma.

"what's that pen?" you ask.

"area b06-33?" ray asks after.

"here!" emma says, handing ray one end of the pen. he takes it and you grab the other end, holding it between you two, "sister krone gave this to norman". you examine the pen before your eyes land on two letters carved into the bottom. W.M.

"there's more. when she gave it to him he tried to write with it, but no ink came out and he decided to take it apart. and so when he took it apart..." emma explains. ray twists the top off the pen to take it apart before the writing 'b06-33' is revealed on its silver barrel.

"woah" you say.

"try twisting it once more" emma adds. ray twists it one more time before hearing a click and a hologram is projected out of the pen. on the hologram it reads

'B01-14'

"wha- what in the world..." ray says with his eyes widened before being interrupted by a yelling child.

"lani?!" thoma yells in the distance. you look at emma and ray before running to where his voice is coming from.

"what's wrong thoma?" you ask as you rush over to him. the short ravenette boy has tears streaming down his face.

"lani disappeared!" he says while pointing into the distance.

disappeared?

"what's going on? was he attacked?! or did he get lost..." emma asks.

"no, no, no! he just suddenly vanished into thin air! we were walking together and then i looked over and he was gone!" he yells as his voice shakes.

"it's okay thoma we'll find him, don't worry" you console him as you crouch down and place your hand on his shoulder. he wipes his tears before turning away and yelling after the blonde boy.

"ray! im gonna look for hi-" emma says before being cut off.

"wait!" ray yells, "this is weird, something isn't right. there's no response. not just from him... why isn't anybody else saying anything either?". don, gilda, and everyone else seems to have disappeared with lani. you walk in circles trying to locate them before hearing something snap.

"huh?" everyone says in unison before falling into an opening in the ground that wasn't there before. suddenly, everything is dark and you feel yourself collide with the ground underneath, hitting your head during impact. you groan before sitting up.