thirty four

"be at ease, they won't find you down here" sonju says as he leads the group through the dimly lit tunnels. it's been three days since him and musica first took you in, and you can't help but feel optimistic regarding the conversation you had over tea a few nights ago.

"i built these tunnels myself, it's a true maze. only musica and i know the true exists" he continues.

"i'd be lost actually!" musica responds from next to him.

"musica, do you live in this forest with your friends?" jemima asks as she tugs on musica's dress.

"not 'live' no, we're just passing through" she replies with a smile.

"we travel through various lands, never stopping anywhere" sonju buds in.

"why?" a little boy asks, followed by a moment of pause in the conversation.

"hmm... why indeed" sonju replies with a smirk.

"so emma, what do you think we should do once we separate from sonju and musica?" you ask the ginger girl.

"we'll find minerva and ask him how to cross to the other world. then we'll have two years to make plans and get ready. we go back for phil and the others, and escape to the human world together. that's why we're going to B 06-32" she replies with a certain determination in her bright green eyes.

"i wonder if it will be that easy..." nat says nervously.

"nobody said it will be, but we'll make it. no matter what" you say trying to comfort him. you give him a smile and he smiles back genuinely before turning forwards again.

"oh by the way, y/n... can i ask you something?" gilda asks.

"hm? what's up?" you respond as you turn over your shoulder to look at her while she speaks.

"if you're not feeling well will you please tell us" she says with a cut throat expression, it's almost intimidating.

"g...gilda?" you respond as you swallow the frog in your throat. seeing gilda like this is out of the ordinary which must mean she's serious about this.

"got it? you can't just endure the pain until you pass out! you're forbidden! promise?" she says as she grabs both your shoulders and shakes you.

"i promise!" you say as she shakes you, making your voice shake as well and you can hear ray laugh from next to you.

"you never take care of yourself properly! and why didn't you let everyone know about your hand, remind me to never let you patch someones wound!" she scolds as she pinches your cheeks and smothers them.

"i'm sorry, but" you start before she cups your cheeks and comes close to your face.

"but nothing" she says with a sadistic smirk, making your eyes widen and your forehead starts to sweat. you nervously chuckle before hearing ray being scolded by someone else. you turn your head and gilda releases her hands.

"...and fight that lizard demon alone! and challenge the farm demons to a run? do you think that's okay!" a group of children start to yell as ray violently shakes his head denying what they're saying.

"you take your eyes off ray for a second and he's already getting himself killed" lani says with his arms crossed.

"what, again ray?" thoma adds, making ray visibly angry.

"now wait right there! i wasn't-" he responds in anger.

"oh yeah? let's ask sonju then!" a little girl says.

"the chances of him surviving were 0%" sonju says bluntly.

"see?!" lani says.

"hey!!" ray shouts with a vein popping in his forehead and neck.

"see? we all care about you! and we're asking you both, please take care of yourselves!" emma says as she holds your hands.

"alright i will, thank you guys" you huff.

.

"soooo good!" emma says as she practically drools from the taste of her soup.

"how did you make this?!" don asks.

"it's called cooking." ray responds sarcastically, making you roll your eyes and nudge him with your elbow.

"it's really good, almost better than when musica made it! no offense to her though" you laugh nervously.

"thanks, it's not my first time making something like this so it was pretty easy to pick up on" he responds before taking a sip of his soup.

"you should teach me one day" you suggest.

"you'd want that?" ray asks with a star stuck expression.

"yeah, why wouldn't i? it looks simple enough" you shrug with a smile as you look into his dark green eyes. he stares at you before quickly snapping out of it.

"uh yeah, sure. i'll teach you" he responds with a small smile as he rubs the back of his neck. you can't help but notice how you make him all flustered, and his reactions make you feel flustered too, even though you may not always show it.

"you want to head south east towards this area" sonju says as he points to a map on the ground with a stick. you turn around and overhear his conversation with emma and a few others, "then you should leave the forest from the northern side, and walk around it".

"from the north?" emma asks.

"if we went straight south we'd pass through 'wild demon' territory" musica explains.

"take the long way and you'll meet nothing but wilderness. we should be done with this forest in about five days, after that it'll take one day for you to reach your goal" sonju adds, "in the meantime, you should learn something useful".

"sonju and i will be your tutors!" musica says excitedly.

"we'll teach you what you need to survive, the essential knowledge, and skills" he explains.

"are you ready?"

a/n: hehe i have a five day weekend so be prepared for LOADSSS of new chapters :)

i've been cutting some dialogue from the manga because if i put everything that everyone said this book would never end lol

also!! please give me recommendations on what you'd like to see as the reader! more y/n x ray moments? more interactions with the other kids? let me know how i'm doing and what else i can do! <3