thirty

"this is most likely where this tree feeds. the trees around here live off the nutrients of live animals" ray explains referring to the large animal corpses hanging from the ceiling.

"live animals?!" everyone shouts in unison.

"it dropped us here and lured us into its feeding ground. in other words, we've all fallen for its trap!" anna says.

"everyone get close together! whatever you do don't stray!" ray shouts as he groups everyone together in the middle of the room.

"what should we do? burn the tree?" don asks.

"no, that's too dangerous" ray answers, "it will give off smoke and if that helps the enemy find us...". your eyes start to water and you look around desperately.

"emma, what do we do?" you ask.

"i..." she says, "i've read about this before. this thing is the snake of the something something!".

"what? where'd you read it?" you respond.

"mr. minervas adventure book! these books really are our guide after all!" emma says as she takes the book out of her backpack before zipping it closed again. "in the story, snakes intertwined with eachother like roots in a deep sea cave that protected treasure".

"a cave, treasure, snakes? it's talking about this tree!" she continues.

"hold it emma, the two stories are similar, but... well i suppose it's possible. let's give it a shot" ray says.

there has to be a way to test this thing and find an opening.

"everyone back up a bit!" you yell as you take a ceramic mug from your backpack. emma helps to move everyone before you throw it towards the roots on the floor. the roots then pick it up and smash it into pieces.

"alright! it uses touch to sense us!" ray and emma say in unison.

so if we just don't touch them, they won't hurt us.

"ray? y/n?" emma says to you both, suggesting you know what to do.

"yeah." ray responds, and you nod your head in agreement. the three of you stray away from the group and walk over to the vines on the wall.

"see? it's fine" you say with a smile.

"huh?" a group of kids say.

"then only roots that come towards us are on the wall but look, they can't attack us if we don't touch them! it's not scary, so let's all calm down first" emma says.

"listen up! right now our plan is to climb up the trunk like originally planned, but we have to get up there before the roots get a chance to reach us. but i know we can do it. you all trained back at the house, right?" ray reassures everyone.

"so, we will escape..." gilda says, turning to you.

"as long as we get to the top" you respond. gilda sighs and turns to face the group.

"then let's go everyone!" gilda says. the children cheer and start to make their way over to the tall trunk in the middle of the room. you decide to be the first to climb. first your right hand, then your left, and you start to climb up the trunk little by little. you try not to look down just in case you'll lose your balance. after a few minutes you finally near the top.

"everybody, help me!" emma shouts before grabbing one of the vines on the ceiling. you do the same and reach up for one of the vines. you grab onto it and suddenly thorns pierce your hand, almost making you lose balance. you let out a sharp breath but then put your other hand on the vine to stabilize yourself. you look next to you and see everyone grabbing onto vines on the ceiling. little by little the ceiling starts to bend until it suddenly snaps, creating a large whole in the ceiling. the vine your grabbing onto starts to swing and you jump down onto the ground, landing on your back. you pick yourself onto your knees and look around to make sure everyone was okay.