'stay in bed' (bucky x reader)

A/N: angst I think lol (again not quite sure), also you and bucky are married in this. and maybe some cursing but only when necessary lmao.

warning: mentions of blood and guns but not too much

Y/N woke up to the sounds of creaking floorboards and soft breathing. Rolling over, she saw Bucky pulling a shirt over his head as he headed out the door.

"Bucky?" She mumbled sleepily, rubbing her eyes. This action was adorable to Bucky, and he longed more than ever to climb back in bed with her, but he was troubled by the strange noises coming from the kitchen, and would be much more reassured if he made sure it was all okay, and that Y/N would be safe.

"I'll be back soon, doll. Stay in bed," he whispered quietly. Y/N, half asleep, nodded, turning over in the bed. Her brain was much too foggy to comprehend anything that was happening.

Bucky crept into the hallway of their small apartment, careful to avoid that one particular area of the floor that creaked loudly every time someone would step on it. As he neared closer to the kitchen the noises became clearer, and to Bucky's horror, they were voices. And not welcome ones.

"Could you be a little quieter?"

"Maybe you should stop talking, that's more likely to wake the soldier." His heart froze as they realised this was no coincidence. They knew who he was.

"What did the boss want us to find, anyway?"

"Anything we can use to get control of the soldier again."

"Or anyone? There has to be a reason he doesn't live in the Avengers tower anymore, and I doubt he lives here by himself."

"Or anyone, I guess. But it would be much easier, and quieter, if we found a valuable object instead."

Bucky clenched his fist as he thought of Y/N, defenseless, in their room. If these guys were truly tasked with sneaking into his house, they were definitely equipped with powerful weapons. He couldn't let them get to her.

He became distracted by his anger and worry however, and failed to miss the particularly creaky floorboard. The voices ceased as they noticed the noise, and Bucky quickly pressed himself against the wall. He had lost his edge, they knew someone in this house was awake.

That didn't mean he had lost his strength though. One of the men tiptoed dangerously close to where he was standing, and he took the opportunity to make a grab for him, using the strength of his metal arm to slam the man against the wall. He slumped to the floor in a heap.

Bucky didn't have much time to relish in the victory however, before he heard the click of a gun loading behind him.

"Shit," he whispered under his voice.

"Turn around now, with your hands behind your head," the man spat, and he did as he was told. He didn't want to do anything that could potentially risk Y/N getting hurt. "You live in this apartment all by yourself?" He had a thick New York accent, and was dressed head to toe in expensive black leather, almost making him look like a rip-off batman. Bucky swallowed, before nodding. "Seems like a big place for one person. What about Avengers tower?"

"I needed my own space. The tower was too crowded," Bucky gave his response, short and sweet. He was used to making excuses on the spot, though a little out of practice since Y/N was always able to see through them.

Meanwhile, Y/N struggled to get back to sleep, used to the warmth Bucky provided. The loud bang was what jolted her completely awake. What was Bucky doing?

Slipping out of bed, she tiptoed down the hallway, startled as she heard voices. It wasn't just her and Bucky in the apartment. Walking silently as possible, she hid behind the wall, stifling her gasp when she saw her husband being held at gunpoint. Her eye was immediately drawn to the phone, charging on the console cabinet across from her. If she were to grab it, she would easily be able to call the police and hope they arrive on time before anyone got hurt. It seemed her best and only option at the time. She reached out, her fingers a hair's breadth away from the phone, before she felt a rough hand pin her arms to her side.

Bucky's heart dropped as he saw the man carry in the only thing worth of value to him in the whole world. Y/N.

"Look what I found," he smiled a sinister smile, gripping Y/N's wrist even tighter. Panic and fear was painted across her face. They were helpless, defenseless and unprotected. Bucky's one goal had failed - to keep her safe.

"Let her go," he snarled, his whole expression turning cold as he started ruthlessly at the two men. The man with the gun grinned wickedly as he moved the point from his chest to her head. Bucky's hands instinctively clenched themselves into fists as his heart rate spiked in fear of Y/N. He had always felt an unending urge to protect Y/N at all costs. They could kill him a hundred times over, but they couldn't kill her. She was too important, too undeserving.

"You lied to me, soldier? How interesting. This pretty thing looks like she's very important to you."

"Let her go!" His voice was rising now.

"Bucky," she whimpered, and he grimaced as the man pressed the gun to her head harder this time.

Her voice is what broke him. He felt like something inside of him snapped, the voice telling him to be diplomatic and not mess this up. Bucky moved quicker than he had ever moved before, grabbing the man's wrist that held the gun, pinning it behind his back. The other man jumped on top of him, trying to break his partner free of Bucky's hold. The man fell to the ground moments later, only to reveal Y/N, a broken vase in hand. He was proud of her to be able to think so quickly on her feet, but he wanted her to get to safety as soon as he could.

"Get out of here!" Bucky yelled to her, and she quickly nodded, starting to walk backwards to the wall. He failed to notice the sharp kick to the stomach coming from the man he had in his hold, and lost his balance as he fell to the floor, grunting in pain.

"Bucky!" Y/N yelled, worried, and started to run towards him.

The gunshot that came next truly froze Bucky's blood.

He ran forward, snapping the man's neck quickly, just in time to catch Y/N's body as she collapsed to the ground. "No, no, no!"

Y/N was already struggling to keep her eyes open as she looked up at him, cupping his cheek gently with one hand. "I love you, Bucky."

"No, no! Y/N, please doll, stay awake. I love you too much for you to leave me now. Just keep your eyes open, we'll get help." He couldn't control the tears threatening to fall as he placed his hands over the gunshot wound to staunch the blood flow, internally flinching as she grimaced from the contact. There was too much blood, but he couldn't just leave her there, he had to do something.

"It's too late, Buck. It's fine, I'm not afraid of dying." Her voice was croaky and hoarse, and blood slowly trickled out of the corner of her mouth. Everything stung as Bucky realised she was right. Help wouldn't get here in time, and his efforts to help her were failing fast.

"Please, Y/N. You have to hold on, I can't lose you. I love you." His voice was quiet, and broke on the last word. "Don't leave me, you're all I have."

She smiled softly, trying desperately to stay conscious. "I'll always be here, even if you can't always see me."

Bucky tried to control his sobbing, knowing how much Y/N hated it when she saw him sad. "Why didn't you stay in bed? It could've, and should've been me."

"I'm happy it wasn't. I always knew I was gonna die for you, Buck. I didn't realise it was going to be this soon, sure, but every moment I've spent with you have been the best moments of my entire life," she whispered, lowering her hand gently from his cheek as her eyelids slowly fluttered close.

Bucky held Y/N even closer as he saw the rise and fall of her chest become slower and slower. He gently held her face. "Y/N, no, no! Stay with me, please. Don't leave me!" His whole body felt numb as he saw the color slowly draining from her face, the warmth of life always present in her cheeks drifting away as if it was never there. He held her body there, as close as he possibly could. It was almost as if he couldn't feel anymore.

He was empty without her.