Chapter 1

Kiss
*****

THE DINNER was awkward for Rita. To eat with the person she had a one night thing with and with his brother who is going to be her husband made her so uncomfortable. Gusto na lamang niyang matapos iyon at makaalis na roon. She really need to hide somewhere far from here.

The guy, Ken, doesn't even looked bothered. Parang ayos lang sa kanya ang lahat. Samantalang siya ay hirap na hirap na. If she could just go up to her room and lock herself up, she'd do so. But it would be disrespectful for the Governor and his wife, especially to her father. He will surely get mad. Hindi nito mapapalampas iyon. It will only ruin their somewhat stable relationship.

She went with the flow, as if she has any other choice. Kahit na puro naman tungkol sa pulitika ang pinag-uusapan ng mga ito. Tungkol sa susunod na eleksyon. Mga plano para sa bayan at kung anu-ano pa. Working as the Congressman's personal assistant, she knew a bit of how politics works but she really tried not to say anything unless she's asked.

"Don't you want to study Law, Rita?" Mrs. Chan asked her in the middle of the conversation.

She looked at the middle aged woman and smiled. "I think it's not for me, Madam. It's too complex." 

"You're intelligent, hija. Didn't she graduate with Latin honors, Enrique?"

Tiningnan siya ng ama bago bumaling kay Mrs. Chan. "She did. A summa cum laude." Her father smiled proudly. "She topped their board."

Natigilan siya. It was the first time that she saw that from him. He was stern and strict. Madalas na seryoso ito o walang emosyon. Kaya kakaiba para sa kanya na makita ang reaksyon nito ngayon. She felt like her heart ached because of happiness. 

"She can take Law, right?" Mrs. Chan insisted.

"Depends on her. She's on her Masters. I don't want to put too much pressure on her."

She bit her lower lip when she felt it tremble. Ayaw niyang makita ng mga ito na naiiyak siya. She longed for this feeling. That belongingness. That somehow, she's not just a maid's daughter, but a real daughter of the Congressman. Now, she felt how it was. Thanks to Mrs. Chan for asking that out of the topic question. She'd be forever grateful.

Mahigit isang oras bago natapos ang dinner na iyon. She'd get bored in the middle of their conversation. Gusto na nga sana niyang umalis kanina pa dahil tapos na siya ngunit hindi niya magawa. 

Sitting on the opposite of her was Martin, next to him was his brother who looked so bored and kept on checking his phone. Hindi lang ata tatlong beses itong sinaway ng ina dahil doon. He would just shrug his shoulder like nothing happened.

"You go with Martin and talk. Get to know each other," her father commanded.

Nagkatinginan silang dalawa ni Martin. They were formally introduced but they weren't that close to be together. Ngunit wala naman siyang magagawa. His father's word were like law. You should follow it. Obey, if you must.

She nodded and excused herself. Mukhang marami pa silang pag-uusapan dahil may mga inuutos ang Papa nila sa mga katulong. It was really a good thing that his wife wasn't there. They were not getting along well. Lalo na't anak lang siya sa labas. She would always pick on her and made living with them difficult. Ito lang naman talaga ang problema.

"I didn't know Congressman has a daughter," Martin said when they reached the garden.

"Now you know," she answered with a shrug and sat down on one of the benches there.

Martin just stood up in front of her. Eyeing her or maybe assessing her. She doesn't know what he's thinking. He was hard to read.

If the dinner was awkward, having to sit here in the garden with this guy was kinda weird for her. Hindi niya alam kung paano ba dapat na makitungo rito. Hindi rin niya alam kung ano ba ang dapat nilang pag-usapan.