Chapter 6

Pick
*****

THE NEWS about the shooting incident became the talk of the town for the next few days. And Rita, being the 'famous daughter' of the Congressman, was bombarded with lots of messages from all her social media accounts. Even the media was trying to contact her to know her side. There's nothing for her to tell. Afterall, the investigation is still going on adn she won't give them any answer. Lalo na't wala naman talaga siyang alam.

"You should deactivate all your accounts," suhestiyon ni Martin habang ang mga mata ay nasa kalsada.

He was the one driving the car. Eversince the incident happened, it has been their set up. Martin picks her up from their mansion and drove her to work. Ito rin ang sundo niya pagdating sa hapon. They were convoyed by their bodyguards. They couldn't even go out the way they used to. Masyado pa raw mapanganib.

The Chans were hands on with the case, too. Tita Natalia came back to the mansion the same day the incident happened. Alam naman niya na hindi nito matitiis ang Papa niya. Kaya mas panatag na rin ang loob niya. Kahit na hindi sila nagkakasundong dalawa, alam niyang mahal na mahal nito ang ama.

"She wants stress. Let her be," Ken commented.

This is the only thing that she doesn't like about this whole set up. It was Ken being with them all the time. They were tied altogether and she didn't have any choice. The elders say that it is much better this way. So they abide. She knew it was frustrating on Ken's part as he can't be with his women. That's the only consolation for now. He can't be with anyone.

"Stress pa lang sa'yo, puwede ko ng ikamatay." Hindi na niya napigilan ang sarili dahil sa inis.

Madalas itong makisawsaw sa pinag-uusapan nilang dalawa ni Martin. He always have side comments which annoys her every damn time. Lagi na lang kasi itong naka-kontra sa mga sinasabi niya. He would always choose the other side and will always try to argue with her. Minsan hindi na lang niya pinapansin dahil nasisira lang ang araw niya.

Martin laughed. "Hindi talaga lumilipas ang isang araw na hindi kayo nagkakasagutan," naiiling na lamang na saad nito.

"Laging mainit ang ulo ng fiancee mo, bro. Lambingin mo kaya?"

She kept her mouth shut. She and Martin wasn't on that stage yet. They're still in the getting to know each other part. They haven't even talked about being together right now. It never came to her mind. She just enjoy his company. Mukhang ganoon din naman ito. At mas maayos ang ganitong relasyon nila ngayon. They're friends. No commitment. Walang inaasahan sa isa't isa. It was convenient for her.

She doesn't want love this time. Maybe soon, but not now.

"We'll get there," natatawang saad ni Martin at nilingon siya.

She felt her face heated up. Hindi niya alam kung para saan iyon. Nagbawi siya ng tingin at nanatili ang mga mata sa kalsada. She suddenly felt awkward.

"Move fast, Martin. Baka maunahan ka ng iba." Makahulugang saad ni Ken.

She looked at him through the rearview mirror. Mukhang hinihintay talaga nito iyon. Ken smirked at her. She glared at him and gritted her teeth in annoyance. Hindi niya magawang magsalita dahil baka kung ano na lang ang masabi niya. She didn't want to keep what happened between them in secret. Sasabihin din naman niya iyon kay Martin. She just need more time. Hahanap siya ng tamang tiyempo para doon.

"I doubt that," Martin answered confidently. "We still have more time with each other. Besides, we're not in a hurry. We have our own phase." Nilingon siya nito at ngumiti.

She faked a smile. She have to tell him sooner before someone's tongue slips. Hindi niya puwedeng pagkatiwalaan si Ken. Never.

*****