on edge

August 4th, 2000

Ariana

"Michael, you know we can't risk that happening to us for a second time."

"I promise these people are different this time, I spoke to Gavin yesterday. He's very sweet and loving."

I dismiss Michael once again. "That's exactly what we thought about Jordan Chandler..."

Michael grabs my hand, looking into my eyes. "He's suffering, Ariana. He's bound to die. He's got cancer and if I know I can save him and I'm just denying him any help, what type of person does that make me?"

"I don't want our family going through that pain again, Michael, 1993 was the worst year of my life and I think I can say the same for you. Ever since then I've been a lot more cautious about inviting people in. I don't know..."

"This family won't betray us like the last one did."

I falteringly look up at him. Maybe I am being paranoid about this.

"Okay, I'll meet them."

⊹⊱✫⊰⊹

                           August 12th, 2000

Ariana

I stand outside patiently as the children huddle around me. "Who are these people again?" Dede asks.

"A family, specifically a little boy with cancer, he's actually your age." I nudge her playfully, she rolls her eyes jokingly and goes back to watching Michael greet the group of 5 people. There's a man, a woman, a girl and 2 boys.

"Mommy, why do we have to meet them?" Prince questions.

"Because daddy wants to help them out, okay? Now, be nice." I remind the kids before the family walks in our direction.

"This is my lovely wife, Ariana." Michael states, I shake all of their hands nicely as I learn their names all while I wear a warm smile. This family certainly seems very kind.

"I just have to say I love your music so much, seriously. Dangerous Woman is my favourite album ever." I laugh graciously at Davellin, I think her name is, and thank her for her support. She's Gavin and Star's, who is their younger brother, older sister.

"This is Delilah but everybody calls her Dede, she's 11 and our oldest." I tell Janet who's the mother. Dede greets everyone quickly.

"This little guy is Prince, he's 5." Prince turns around, hiding himself in my leg. He's always been so shy.

"Say hi, Prince." Michael says. Prince gradually faces the family. "Hi..." His little voice speaks, they laugh and each say a little hello to him.

"And this is our youngest, her name is Paris. She's only 2." Paris babbles out some sort of hello, she's met with awes and admiration.

"Let's take a tour, shall we?" Michael suggests, leading them to our house. The Arvizo's seem to be in wonder of our home, I felt the same way the first time Michael surprised me with it.

After the short tour is done, Michael offers to take them to the amusement park. They agree almost immediately, we all go for a little ride on the train, it stops right in front of the park.

Everyone scurries off, leaving Janet, myself and Paris back to watch them.

"Your home is beautiful." She comments. "As well as your 3 children, they're so gorgeous."