The Vote

"I don't know how you found us- we're not open about our meetings or welcoming to outsiders." Theresa fixed Wanda with a look of faint interest, her voice cool and calculating. "I'm not sure what Y/N was thinking, inviting you here but I suppose we will make an exception."

"You came here looking for something."

It was not a question.

If Wanda was surprised by the assertion, she didn't show it. Wanda nodded, and clenched her fists, "I'm looking for answers, a teacher. Greater control over my abilities."

There was a moment of silence as Theresa contemplated Wanda's request. Training a witch was no small task and coven business was complicated. After the Scarlet Witch had joined the Avengers, the idea of witches as weapons had made the community more concerned than ever about secrecy. Small numbers of witches had been disappearing across the country and nobody was sure where to.

Y/N was certain this was the reason there was a grey streak sneaking its way across Theresa's otherwise midnight colored hair. She knew Theresa believed S.W.O.R.D may be behind the abductions and that her priority was remaining undetected by the organization, which is why her answer was such a surprise.

Theresa turned to Y/N, "You brought her here, she is your responsibility now. Teach her what you know."

With that Theresa swept out of the room, quickly moving through the hidden passage and into the secret meeting space. Wanda raised an eyebrow at Y/N, "Well, she's a peach."

Y/N chuckled, "Yeah, don't mind her. There's a lot on her mind."

"So, you're going to teach me how to control this?" A small red ball of energy appeared in Wanda's hand. But it's there only a moment before Y/N swats at her and glances at the store window.

"Not here! Yes, I can teach you but this place must remain magic free. It's coven law- to help keep us safe."

Y/N motioned for Wanda to follow her and moved to the back of the shop. It was silent except for the clatter of the beaded curtain as they entered the stock room. Y/N bent down momentarily and straightened back up with two swaths of deep green fabric.

"Here, we wear these during formal coven meetings. It's tradition."

Wanda took the pile of fabric from Y/N. It was a soft, velvety material and as she unfolded it, she realized it was a hooded cloak. It took her a minute to find both arm holes but once she had it on, she looked up to see Y/N with a slight smile on her face.

"What? Did I do something wrong?"

"No, it's just something easy to miss- do you mind?" Y/N took a step forward and offered her hands as if to help. Wanda nodded. They were toe to toe as Y/N reached up to pull at hidden strings in the cloak, cinching it more closely to Wanda's figure. The silence was loud, only punctuated by the fluttering of Y/N's heart. They were standing so close to each other, Wanda had to hear it.

Y/N snuck a look at Wanda wondering if she could tell but the other woman seemed oblivious. When Y/N stepped back, the cloak looked much better. There would be less chance of tripping or snagging it on something now. Y/N tried not to let her gaze linger on the other woman and busied herself by beginning their first lesson.

"Hood up." Both women raised the hoods of their cloaks. "Don't speak unless spoken to."

Wanda frowned but nodded.

"It helps keep meetings shorter. And for you, it'll help keep a low profile." Y/N explained.

"Follow me."

Y/N stepped into the hidden passageway, Wanda following closely behind. The bookshelf groaned as it slid shut after them. The sound of cheery voices and chairs scraping the floor filled their ears as the pair approached the Reading Room.

"Stay close." Y/N murmured and took a seat next to Caroline, motioning for Wanda to occupy the chair to her other side.

As they sat, the rest of the coven quieted and Theresa stood, pulling back her hood to speak.

"As many of you know, I've spent the last month in Council meetings discussing what's next for all covens, all witches." The room is silent, tense with anticipation.

"The Council has determined that it should be the choice of each coven, whether or not to reveal their existence to the world."

Theresa began to pace as she spoke.

"We've discussed this at length amongst ourselves, sisters. You know my feelings on the matter. The disappearances cannot be ignored and I do not wish to place all of you at risk. I voted to remain in the shadows, but the vote was historic.. a tie."

There were murmurs of surprise as she continued,

"Our sister Siobhan of the Dublin coven reports that two of hers have disappeared. It seems with every changing of the moon, this threat grows closer to us. I have been searching for answers, where have they gone? Why them?"

Theresa stopped pacing and looked around the room.

"I don't yet have the answers but rest assured, I will get them. But now we must vote."

Y/N tapped her foot against Wanda's under the table, a signal she hopes Wanda understands, "Don't vote."

As one, everybody in the room stood and raised their hands towards the center of the table. Lines of magic snaked their way down the arm of each cloaked figure. Blues, purples, greens shimmering and mixing only to separate again into two orbs. One larger on the left and a smaller circle on the right.

Wanda glanced over at Y/N, unsure of what this really meant and noticed she had not voted. Why would she not vote? This was obviously a moment of significance.

Theresa clapped her hands together loudly, "Thank you for your votes. I know this is not easy but we will continue on as we always have. Just out of sight, until the right time comes. Until it is safe."

A voice across the table called out, "She didn't vote." a woman in her 40s pulled back her hood to speak, pointing not at Y/N but at Wanda.

Only the slight quirk of her lips betrayed Theresa's true feelings- annoyed, "Yes Suzanne, she is a guest today. Admittedly bad timing- but as an outsider, she cannot vote in coven business."

"Who is this guest? To attend one of our most historic meetings but not even show her face? You promised us transparency. We should have been informed of a visitor, should we not? Don't guests put us at risk for the very exposure we just voted against?"

Suzanne had always been one of the most confrontational of all the London witches. She had been advocating for years that they end the secrecy and begin living openly. She was.. unhappy with the results of the vote.

Y/N could see Theresa thinking through the coven politics, the optics of each choice she could make in this moment.

"Lift your hood, sister."

Wanda glanced at Y/N who nodded encouragingly and then pulled back her hood.

The room went silent- and then erupted into chaos.