A Fight

"Y/N, inside- now!" Wanda yelled over the noise and angled her body in front of Y/N as they backed away and into the cottage. For all her brave talk, Y/N was shaking, palms sweaty and fists clenched. Wanda maneuvered them back into Y/N's bedroom, away from the danger of the glass walled living space. They had the advantage. Wanda and Y/N knew the house, knew which floorboards creaked and where all the exits were. They could survive this- right?

They also had a disadvantage. No weapons and no idea just how impending their doom was. How many agents were brought along for this mission? What kind of tools did they have at their disposal? Wanda whirled around as soon as they were alone, knowing they wouldn't be for long.

"Okay, you're going to stay here and I'll handle this."

"What? Wanda no! I'm not letting you do this alone, I've been train-"

"They have guns Y/N. It's too dangerous, there can't have been more than 6 people on that helicopter. My powers- I can handle this."

Y/N began to protest but stopped when Wanda reached out and gently touched Y/N's cheek.

"I can't lose you too."

They stood there frozen, Wanda's hand warm and sure against Y/N's trembling frame. Adrenaline shot to new levels and just when it seemed like nothing could break the moment- the shatter of glass in the next room pierced through the tension like a knife. Wanda dropped her hand and shot Y/N a pleading look. An unspoken-

"Please."

Y/N just sighed and acquiesced-

"Okay"

Y/N whispered "They're sending two our way. Their walkie talkies are stupid loud."

Wanda squeezed her hand in thanks and gestured for Y/N to stand back out of sight from the door. The sound of creaking hinges and radio static flooded into the space and as the two men stepped into the room Wanda's eyes began to glow. Her hands lit with a familiar pulsing energy and with an elegant twist of her fingers the men crumpled to the floor before they could even react.

Despite the stealthy solution, the cottage was small and the sound of bodies hitting the floor was loud enough to get the attention of the other two agents nearby. Wanda stepped out into the hallway with a shield spell readied. The agents wasted no time in their attack, bullets flew towards her seemingly instantaneously but Wanda blocked them easily with a red wall of energy. She stalked towards them and dropped the shield in favor of a different approach. The agents hadn't stopped firing but the bullets had all frozen mid air, encased in pulsing red light. Wanda easily disarmed the first agent and after a brief struggle knocked out the second as well.

By all accounts this was going exceedingly well.

After the shooting stopped, Y/N chanced a look out of the bedroom and saw two things.

1. Wanda kicking ass 

2. An unnoticed agent sneaking behind her, holding some kind of metal circle in his hand

She could tell Wanda hadn't noticed the third agent. Y/N had to move fast. Rushing out of her hiding place Y/N dove into a tackle, taking the stealthy one out at their ankles. The agent was completely surprised, giving Y/N the upper hand. Wanda turned just in time to see Y/N land a hasty punch to their throat.

"Y/N? What-"

Y/N scrambled to her feet, listening intently for anybody else in the vicinity but sensed nothing.

"I don't think there's anybody else inside but-" Y/N looked out the shattered glass wall pointedly and then back to Wanda, "They were trying to put this on you?" She motioned to the collar.

Wanda's face shifted in disgust but there wasn't time for her to respond before a bullet whistled through the room, barely missing Y/N. Glancing at the helicopter revealed it was now empty. Hayward stood alone in the sand, pointing a rifle at the two women. Lining up a second shot he would never get to take.

Catching sight of the man responsible for Vision's dismemberment- for almost shooting Y/N, for hunting her across the world, Wanda's emotions flared and Y/N hurried to catch up as Wanda stormed toward the beach. Hayward's finger inched closer to the trigger as Wanda gained ground. She stopped about 15 feet from the man and he smirked, all false bravado.

"We're here to bring you in, Maximoff. Come quietly while you still can-"

The rest of the sentence dies as the gun is yanked by red light from his hands and turned around. Hayward stood facing down the barrel of his own gun looking oddly smug.

"You can't kill me Maximoff, what will the headlines say? The Scarlet Witch! Hands stained red with more than just magic. The once-Avenger murders decorated agents in seaside town?"

Wanda's eyes burn with anger and the gun shakes visibly mid air between their standoff.

"We're bringing you in Wanda! So you can't hurt anybody else." he spat aggressively.

"Wanda-" Y/N said gently. Wanda seemed to steady slightly at her voice.

"Wanda, he's right- we can't kill him."

Hayward laughed, "That's right Maximoff, listen to the girl." he smirked- "You two seem awfully clos-"

The gun clicked and suddenly butted hard against his head, knocking him out cold. Hayward crumpled to the grass, eyes rolled back and mouth frozen in a terrifying smile.

Everything happened quickly after that. Y/N navigated through the destroyed house, glass crunching underfoot as she grabbed their belongings. Wanda followed silently behind her practically vibrating with frustration. They don't speak at all until the cottage is a speck of light in the distance.

"Wanda, are you all right?"

"I'm fine." 

Y/N sat back, giving Wanda space and allowing the silence to settle over them- it was going to be a long ride.