Chapter 61

A rumbling sound echoed all around as I watched the cracks spread from the wall up until the ceiling. You've got to be kidding me... Not long after that, small rocks and dust began to fall down from above as if giving me a signal that the path was about to collapse. Oh, boy... Upon realizing that, my whole body tensed up and I broke into a mad dash.

"KREEEEEEEEEE!!"

Probably sensing the danger that it was in, the Anties King let out a screech full of rage before increasing its speed. What?! Catching a glimpse of that, I couldn't stop myself from wondering why the monster hadn't done that from the very beginning. After all, it wouldn't make much sense to hold back if he could use that speed from the start.

Wait, hold back? At that, I finally realized what was happening. I see. That guy is trying to conserve his strength. In short, that fight from earlier took a heavy toll on his body to the point that he had to resort into doing that!

At the same exact time that I caught on into that, the light coming from the exit up ahead entered my line of sight as if trying to give me further motivation to push through. That said, all of that would end up for nothing if I got buried here along with those ants. With that in mind, I gritted my fangs and forced my legs to their absolute limit whilst ignoring the excruciating pain that my action had resulted into.

"RAAAAAAHHHHHH!!"

Using that roar as a way to ease the pain, I sprinted towards the exit in a desperate attempt to survive. Seconds after that, the Gigarillon finally reached the end of the tunnel but made a sudden stop at that spot. As the Gigarillon turned around, I leaped past that ape just a brief moment before my Shadow Augment ran out.

While being carried away by my momentum, I turned my head back around and activated Accelerate in order to increase my perception of time. But then, as I looked back, my eyes caught a glimpse of the Anties King that still hadn't given up. Damn it! That ant will actually make it in time! Seeing that, I made a split-second decision and shot four Shadow Bullets towards the ceiling of the path.

When those bullets hit the ceiling, I heard four small explosions and watched as the cracks spread even further in a snail-like pace. But for some unknown reason, even with all of that damage, the opening of the cave didn't collapse as I had intended.

I missed it?! I asked in panic.

But after that question flashed into my mind, I saw a big black blur pouncing up into the ceiling like some hungry hawk diving into its prey. And before my body hit the ground, a loud and devastating bang had erupted from above followed by the sound of boulders crashing down.

"Guh!"

As I crashed into the ground, the impact from that fall made me spit all the oxygen inside my lungs along with a mixture of my saliva and blood. And at that very same instance, all my thoughts came to a sudden halt as my vision began to fade away in black.

***

After tethering between the boundaries of dreams and reality, I somehow managed to wake up in a snap. "Huff... Huff... Huff..." But upon opening my eyes, I found myself gasping in a desperate need of air all the while coughing out the blood and saliva that was stuck inside my throat. Furthermore, all the pain from both external and self-inflicted injuries assaulted me all at once to the point that my mind went blank for who knows how long.

For me, it really felt like hell. It was as if I was subjected into unceasing torture and punishment for what seemed like an eternity. And without a doubt, the only reason why I managed to retain my sanity was because of my skill Pain Endurance and Presence of Mind. If I didn't have those, then that excruciating pain would probably feel far worse and all of that would surely break my mind.