Chapter 16

What a rough day... I thought when the Cerberus was finally out of my sight. But seriously, meeting a Dragon and a Cerberus in just one day? Talk about incredible bad luck!! Of course, I didn't forget that I owed lady luck my life two times now, but I think it was safe to assume that it was already evened out because of meeting those two powerful monsters. Besides, when I looked at it more carefully. The reason my life was endangered in the first place was because of those unlucky encounters. It was the same with the snake and even more so with that Dragon and Cerberus.

Seriously, this life has been so freaking dangerous and eventful ever since my memories had resurfaced... Well, I guess that I can also say the same about my past two lives huh?

When that thought crossed my mind, I honestly felt depressed. Because when I carefully looked at it, I started to realize that I had experienced some pretty terrible stuff in both of my memories. It was as if I was cursed by the heavens to always experience some setbacks in every turn of my life. And although it was true that because of those experiences I have become a much more mentally strong individual, I would gladly take a mediocre but stable life if I was given a choice.

Well, at least in my life as a human, I met some trusted companions and even had experienced a good life before I died... Although I cannot say the same thing with my life as a normal wolf, at the very least I can make some difference now since I had two memories within me.

Of course, I knew that standing here wallowing in my insecurities wasn't a good idea. That was why after I returned to my senses, I carefully and silently dragged the dead bee towards the cave where the two Hellhounds came from. Now, some of you must have been thinking that it was a really bad idea. But I disagree and the reasoning for that was quite simple...

First reason. Since it was pretty much already established that the Hellhounds were not only carnivorous but also cannibalistic, then it goes to show that those things couldn't possibly live in packs. Most likely, those things live alone and hunt for their food on their own. (Although because of this, the process on how those things reproduce became a complete mystery.) Anyway, because of that fact, I could confidently conclude that the cave must have been the lair of one of those Hellhounds, and since both of them were dead, then that lair was now surely empty.

Second reason. When I first found the two Hellhounds, the two of them were both inside a cave which was by all means goes against my first conclusion. So, if that was the case, why would two Hellhounds stay inside a single lair and then try to eat each other? And for that question, there were two possibilities. One was that those two may have been a couple of Hellhounds who were living inside a single lair together. But of course, given their basic nature of being cannibalistic, that was highly unlikely to be the case. And so, that would only leave the other possibility in which one of those Hellhounds must have been on a hunt only to be followed by the other when it tried to return to its lair. Probably, I only came at just the right time when one of the Hellhounds confronted the owner of the lair. Of course, it was also possible that one of them just happened to wander inside the lair, and it just got caught by its owner while searching the place. But given the behavior of those things, I doubt they have the habit of leaving behind a stocked-up food. Meaning, there was no reason for the other Hellhound to search the lair of the other to find some stocked-up food.

Now, there may have been some arguments along the lines of; but is it possible for a beast as feral as that to have any intelligence to follow a prey unto its nest? Okay, listen here. That was only the impression I got when I saw them fighting. And that also meant that I had not the slightest idea of how clever those things were when it comes to hunting for prey. For all I know, those things might be the same as those savage and crazy killers I encountered in my past life as a human. Seriously, those guys were definitely barbaric, but they were all still incredibly crafty when it came to hunting for their targets.