Chapter 17: Painted madly

It was a great relief when we came closer to the castle to see the white queen waiting for us, my best friend, and more people of the kingdom coming out to greet us.
Bayard came running towards his wife and pups excitedly reuniting making me smile. Alice had me around the waist in a tight hug and we both laughed out loud in joy at the fact to be reunited.

"Thank goodness." Alice said with a sigh of relief "I was so worried I thought..."

She pulled back from me and looked me up and down
"Gosh, your glowing!"

I laughed as hatter approached the two of us smiling and Alice gave him a hug as well

"I'm so happy to see you! I thought they were going to.."

Tarrant pulled back and suddenly went on an excited mad rant

"So did I. But they didn't! Thank you this beautiful girl beside me here, I-I mean she didn't have all to do with it but I would do regretted not seeing her again or you! Especially now that you're the proper size, it's a good size, just right, in fact a right proper Alice size-"

"Hatter!" Alice and I both exclaimed as I gripped his forearm bringing him back to reality.

"Fez. I'm fine."

I giggled squeezing his arm and Alice looks between us knowingly before she asks.

"Where's your hat?"

The Hat materializes in the air worn by Chessur and regrettably hands it back to its rightful owner to which Tarrant takes excitedly.

"Chessur." Alice great happily.

"How's the arm, luv?" He smiled back

"All healed. Thank you for taking care of my best friend here."

"A pleasure of coarse." Before he disappeared he caressed the beloved article of clothing "Good bye sweet hat."

Tarrant pressed his hat close to him glaring at the spot the cat disappeared from causing me to laugh.

"Come friends. You are safe and welcomed here. Let's get you food, bed and a new pair of clothing."

___________

If you have learned anything by now from reading this crazy story we call my life, is that sleeping at night has become nearly impossible. I've been awake for what felt like days, but I couldn't rest for the life of me.

So here I was in my night attire, staring up from the ground in the middle of the empty hallway at my mothers portrait.

In a way I know shes here now. With me, giving guidance in the ghostly form. But I wished for her to be really here. To teach me how to become... well her I guess.

"You should get some rest."

I jumped hearing my aunts voice behind me. She stood there in the dark and I sighed.

"Do you just float everywhere you go? Because I swear I never hear you when you are behind me."

She laughed coming towards me and sitting down next to me.

"Your mother had a sassy mouth too."

I sighed looking back at the painting

"Everyone says I'm so much like my mother. I suppose that's a compliment. I mean from what I've learned is that she's one of the strongest people to ever live... she gave everything up for me." I looked at my aunt with worry in my eyes "I thought Alice was the one with the burden here... but now that everyone knows who I am, what if I never live up to my mother? What if I can never be her?"