Chapter 19: Brand New World

The best people are those who are mad. The only time I heard it out loud was from my best friends father. A man I looked up to and treated everyone with respect man or women.

Although he said it first, I felt like all my life I've learn this. The term "mad" doesn't have to mean bonkers. It's a word that speaks many other words. But overall I think the real saying should be:

The best people are unapologetically themselves.

And as I climbed up onto my horse, Alice onto the bandersnatch, my fathers armor adoring her body.... My tiara upon my head glittering in the sun, I knew then, I truly was unapologetically myself finally.

The knights made way for us as we came to the front, where everyone was waiting. Some looked in awe and some looked in shock at the beast my friend was riding. But overall the look of relief on my aunts face upon seeing us both was enough.

I looked to my left and there stood Tarrant looking up at me adoringly, with a rather large sword of his own. He reached out a hand and I let him take mine, kissing it softly

"Your highness."

I chuckled
"Oh please don't start with that again."

"Well you are wearing the tiara, love."

I rolled my eyes
"An object doesn't make me who I am Mr. Hightop. Besides it does look rather fetching with the whole warriors get up doesn't it?"

That caused him to chuckle squeezing my hand once more.

"Even in the face of danger, yes my darling, you are stunning."

We turned to my aunt who gave us an approving nod and climbed up onto her horse. And with a firm pull on her reigns we were off, the knights marching behind us.

You will be ok Annie.

I just hopped she was right.

_____________

We met on what looked to be a very very large chess board. The sky was gloomily as if this world knew what was about to happen. Across from us, the red queen and her army of cards marched towards us. My evil aunt in her own carriage, which stopped when we were at a good distance.

Queen of white and red both left their rides and walked across from each other, meeting in the middle. I myself got off my horse along with Alice on the bandersnatch
Tarrant, Alice, and I were not far behind her. I drew my bow and an arrow loading it. My expression dark as I made eye contact with The Knave, who gave me an evil smirk back.

I glanced at my evil aunt who to my shock was looking at not exactly me, but my tiara. Her little sisters Tiara. When she noticed I was looking to quickly turned back to Mirana.

"Hello, Iracebeth."

"Hello...Mirana."

McTwisp blew his trumpet getting everyone's attention

"On this, the Francois Day, the Queens Red and White shall send forth their champions to do battle on their behalf."

The white queen tried one more time, begging her sister not to do this.

"Oh, Racie. We don't have to fight." She started holding her hand out in a peaceful gesture "Cas... Cassiopeia, our little sister wouldn't want us to do this. Our niece has come back to us. This is a chance to rebuild all that was lost."

However Iracebeth's cold stare didn't fatter as she dryly replied
"I know what you're doing. You think you can blink those pretty little eyes and I'll melt just like Mummy and Daddy did. Those eyes that made our sister betray me in the first place."