6. SUPER BASS

"AND YES, YOU'LL GET SLAPPED IF YOU'RE LOOKIN' HOE!"

So, here you were; standing in the middle of the mall, shifting from foot to foot like you had ants in your pants

This was not how you'd originally wanted your weekend to go.

But, you couldn't let Kiyoko down, so at 11 in the morning, when you'd woken up, you'd tugged on some baggy trousers and a hoodie (to make yourself less noticeable), and rushed off to the shops early. Now, it was 12:59, and you were nervously counting down the seconds to 1 o'clock, eyes glued to your watch.

"(L/n)," the moment it struck the hour, Kiyoko's call of your name reached your ears. You jolted in shock slightly, before pulling yourself together, and lifting your head to see her.

Fuck, she was pretty – she'd opted to wear a simple yellow shirt, along with some shorts, and a small bag for her essentials.

For a brief second, you forgot what oxygen was, before frantically waving, and babbling awkwardly, "Oh, uh, hello! You're... looking presentable to the public eye!"

(Oh my god, you were about to defenestrate yourself.)

"Thank you," she replied, after a moment of confusion at your choice wording. "Which shop do you reccomend first?"

"Well, let's take a look at the supposed 'quality' ones first," you answered wryly, pointing over your shoulder. "See if they actually have anything worth our time."

"Sure," Kiyoko responded, smiling for 0.078 seconds.

And so you went; and you were not surprised to find out that everything was way too overpriced; "What about these?" Kiyoko asked, getting a pair of trainers out.

"You... seem to like black shoes a lot," you commented quietly, inwardly noting how she'd looked at only 4 so far, and all of them having been within that colour range.

Kiyoko was silent, before admitting somewhat bashfully, turning her face away from you, "I want to wear the volleyball team's colour."

You blinked, blanking out for an instance, then muttered, "That's, uh, really thoughtful of you."

She returned her gaze to you, to find you crouching down to pick up a new set of black clogs, and inspect them. You let out a sigh, raising an eyebrow, and smiling half-heartedly.

"I wish I could be that committed to something," you confessed.

Kiyoko allowed her lips to part slightly, as she was quite surprised by your sudden vulnerability. From what she'd gathered, you were quite a simple person to acknowledge, but perhaps there was more to you than met the eye at first glance.

Maybe if she peered a little closer, she'd understand you a little more.

So, she made her way over to where you were, and also ducked down to your level. "What about these ones?" she questioned, referring to the pair of shoes in your hands.

"Oh, uh," you stuttered, startled by her sudden proximity; then, you composed yourself, and explained, "you see, these companies like to charge you a lot of money by telling you about all of these high tech things about it. But, if you look at it honestly," you pulled away a part of the trainer, to expose the poorly glued together inside, "it's not really worth the money."

"Oh," Kiyoko tilted her head, "that's smart."

"Not really," you replied, with an awkward laugh, putting the shoe back down, "it's just not being gullible."

"So, since this shop is clearly overcharging us," she continued, "where do you want to go instead?"

"There's this really great shop," you spoke excitedly, practically lighting up at the thought, "that does have a shoe section for good prices, if you wanna go see. They've got anime merch too!"

Kiyoko laughed – you had to stop yourself from gasping as she did – she looked back to you, with a small blush on her cheeks, and a huge smile, "Sure. Let's go."

"Yep..." you spluttered, your hands shaking against your thighs in utter disbelief.

Before long, the both of you were in the shop you'd mentioned before, and had found a very nice pair of black trainers for her, which you'd managed to pick out. You also spent some cash on an anime key ring, but Kiyoko had to firmly tell you not to spend all your money in the store, since you had been eyeing literally every single item.

After the both of you had bought your needed objects, you decided to head to a coffee shop, since you did have some time to kill.

It was only now that you noticed everyone was looking at her.

Well, no wonder really; she was incredibly beautiful, so she was bound to attract the attention of most people.

Problem was that this meant they also noticed you.

You practically shrunk into your hoodie to try hide yourself from the judging eye of the public, sweating slightly underneath your clothes. You were not used to this attention, nor did you like it, yet Kiyoko was somehow completely unbothered by it all.

Perhaps she was used to it?

Hell, it wasn't your place to assume. Right now, all you wanted was a nice drink, and preferably some type of sugary snack, to try distract yourself from all the staring you were getting.

"I'm sorry," Kiyoko suddenly apologised. When you gave her a quizzical look, she laughed ever-so-slightly, "Everyone staring is making you uncomfortable. I'm sorry, this usually happens when I go out."

"No, no, not at all!" you exclaimed, waving your hands in denial, "Ok, well, maybe yeah, but I don't think it's that bad – ok, I lied, I do, it's terrifying—"

When she smiled gently, you shut your mouth. "People do tend to stare a lot," she confirmed, directing her gaze ahead, "but I've gotten used to ignoring it. I find it a bit shallow, really. I've gotten loads of marriage proposals from people I've only just met. I want to find somebody who wants to know me beyond my looks."

"Damn, I..." you trailed off, scratching the back of your head, "that's deep, man. I'm sorry you get all that shit. I don't know what I can do to help... but I do want to know you," you confessed, a tad shyly.

"Thank you," Kiyoko replied, with a small giggle. "As long as I get to know you as well."

"Ah... you sure you wanna do that?" you joked awkwardly.

"I'm more than sure," she replied, with a blinding smile.