15. AT LONG LAST, LOVE

a/n: final chapter!!

"IT'S OK TO NOT KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING. ALL YOU NEED IS PEOPLE WHO WILL SUPPORT YOU UNCONDITIONALLY, SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY AC BILLS."

You didn't know how much time had passed, but it felt like decades, as you sat against the wall, curled up in a ball

You didn't know how much time had passed, but it felt like decades, as you sat against the wall, curled up in a ball. However, you were snapped out of your delirium, when someone touched your shoulder; you instantly jolted and looked up with wide eyes, your own bloodshot ones colliding with Kiyoko's deep blue.

"(Y/n)," she breathed in relief, kneeling before you. "Thank god I found you," she uttered softly, reaching out and letting her hand rest on your knee.

You stared in disbelief. "How did you find me?" you spluttered; you'd thought this sidestreet would be hidden away enough for nobody to see your pathetic state.

She peered away for a moment — "I ran here."

"What?!" immediately, you panicked, "But what about your injury?! That's really dangerous!"

"I don't care," she replied shortly, and you winced at her bluntness. "What I care about right now is what went through your head to do this."

You let out a miserable sigh, and muttered, "I'll sound emo if I tell you."

Kiyoko raised an eyebrow, then turned on her heel, and sat down next to you, her body pressed right up against yours, as she tilted her head to look at you. "We have time," she assured, "and it's only me."

Again, you exhaled heavily, before placing your chin in your palm for support. "I'm adopted," you began wearily, "and I don't mean that in the whole joking way, I'm actually adopted. I never knew either of my biological parents. I've kinda had issues concerning it ever since I got dropped off at the orphanage, which from what the doctors said, was about two weeks after me being born. So, yay, right out of the womb, I'm depressed.

"And, y'know, I never really fitted in either. I'm not saying that in a 'I'm quirky' type of way, people just... never liked me. I don't know why, or how — if I missed something in the social interaction book, but it's always been that way. Until Sugawara, I never had a single friend for as long as I lived, and that's not an understatement. Sure people will talk to me, but they don't want me around for more than an hour. So, I just... I want to find somewhere I can belong. But I can't even do that, because that place doesn't exist for me."

You stared straight ahead, a worn expression occupying your face, as you let your words sink in. Truth be told, you'd never told anybody about this, terrified of it scaring people off, but she had asked for it. What happened next was of her own volition.

"I thought," Kiyoko spoke steadily, at last, as she slid your glasses off your face (which were dirty), "that you had found that place with us."

"I didn't," you replied glumly. "Because I can't be accepted anywhere. I've realised that now. If my own family didn't want me, then who does?"