chapter 5

unedited

the game ended with chenle's team as the victors, the boy scoring the last point of the game

the game ended with chenle's team as the victors, the boy scoring the last point of the game. sunghee was on her feet cheering the whole match, pumped to be watching one of his matches in person.

as soon as the referee's whistle was blown, the girl jumped up on her feet and began to race towards her online friend. she earned quite a few stares as she pushed past groups of people, but its not like she cared.

"chenle!!" she yelled as she ran onto the court. he happened to be tying his shoe, so when he looked up he was startled to see a tall girl running towards him at highspeed.

"AH!" he let out his ear-piercing dolphin scream as sunghee tackled him. the both ended up on the floor, the elder overtop of him as she stared down with an evil gleam in her eyes.

"get off me you pest," chenle hissed, throwing her off. he put a little too much force into it and she landed at someone's feet.

she groaned in pain, clutching her back as she rolled over to look up. a pair of eyes pierced through her own when she opened them, his eyebrows arched in confusion and disgust.

"move you peasant." haechan muttered, forcefully kicking the girl away. she rolled away, letting out a cry in pain.

after composing herself, she came to her feet, glare already present on her face as she looked at the boy.

"oh it's you." she seethed, teeth gritted in anger.

"yeah it's me princess."

"im confused. why are you calling me princess when you called me a peasant before?"

renjun stifled a laugh, clamping a hand over his own mouth to keep down the giggles. but haechan heard, elbowing the smaller in the stomach.

"ouch!?"

"shut up."

"why don't you shut up." sunghee intervened for renjun's sake, shooting him a quick thumbs up.

"did something happen between you two?" chenle asked, stepping between them both so they couldn't beat each other up.

"he got my favourite hoodie dirty!"

"she made me spill my popcorn! wait a minute, i didn't get your hoodie dirty, it looks perfectly fine."

"you so did! look at the crumbs!" the girl exclaimed, displaying her hoodie front.

the boy scoffed. "please, you can easily wash that off."

"and you can easily buy new popcorn!"

"oh be quiet." mark stepped forward, silencing their bickering. he clutched his already pounding head, sporting a rare frown. "haechan just give her the phone."

"what phone?" sunghee furrowed her eyebrows.

"your phone."

"but i have my-" the girl had both hands stuck in her pant pockets, not feeling her phone anywhere. "oh."

haechan reached into his own pocket, revealing the device. he stood impatiently with his hand out as the girl blankly stared at. "are you going to take it?"

"no." she answered, earning groans from the boys.

"why?"

"i don't want anything you touched."

"oh don't be childish."

"i'm not being childish, i'm being quite rational if i say so myself."

"no one asked, just take it."

"i don't want-"

"sunghee just take it." a soft voice interrupted her, coming from behind jeno. he stepped out so she could see him, a hint if a smile on his lips. she watched in shock as he lifted his arm up in a wave, mouthing the word "hello".

sunghee let out a loud shriek as she turned on her heels in the direction of a nearby door, sprinting as fast as she could.

jaemin panicked as well, yanking the girl's phone out of haechan's grasp as he ran after her.

"oh lord." chenle mumbled, shaking his head in disappointment.

———

sunghee swung the doors open, throwing herself out past them. it was dark outside, really dark. but this didn't stop sunghee from running along the path.

it seemed like she brought herself to the school garden, soil surrounding the paths full of vibrant flowers, filling the night air with their sweet scent.

the path turned out to be a dead end, the brick wall of the school standing at the end with a lone bench leaning up against it.

the sound of footsteps echoed through the gardens, filling sunghee with dread. she panicked, frantically turning her head in search for a place to hide.

a body then roughly collided with her own, knocking her into the nearby wall. the boy fell as well, hovering just above her as they both caught their breath.

"hi i'm jaemin." the boy greeted as he stared down at her, arms on either side of her head. his voice came out higher pitched than intended, making his eyes widen.

sunghee giggled, finding it rather amusing which filled the boy with glee.

"i'm sunghee. but you can call me yours."

"i know." he grinned, winking at her. her smile grew wider and a single tear escaped her right eye. it rolled halfway down her cheek before a finger stopped it, before softly beginning to caress her skin.

"why are you crying?" jaemin frowned, lip jutted out in a pout as he examined the girls face. she let out a forced laugh, filled with anxiety.

"i'm just happy hahhaha."

this made the boy's lips curve up into a smile, perfect teeth shining out from behind his lips matching his sparkling eyes.

the girl stared dreamily at the boy in front of her, making heart eyes as she let out a blissful sigh.

suddenly, a loud thump echoed through the gardens, followed by painful silence.

"did sunghee just pass out?"