chapter 32

"how'd your korean test go, sunghee?" haechan asked as the two skipped through the school on the way to the office. mark was hopefully still there, but if he wasn't they probably would've heard something by now about a slithering boy in the hallways.

"it was absolutely horrible!" she exclaimed, throwing her arms up and clutching the air for an added effect. "a nightmare!"

"why?" he squinted at her. "i thought you were going to study during your free period?"

"well," she grumbled. "maybe if i didnt have to help mark basically the whole period with his foot maybe it would've gone great! but a girl can dream i guess."

"ugh!"

"right!"

"hello children." jaemin's mother greeted them when they entered the office, and sunghee watched haechan's face light up like an annoyingly bright christmas light right in front of her. sick.

"mrs na!" he sang, throwing his arms put to embrace their school's nurse.

she rolled her eyes at the boy and stuck out the paper towel roll she was holding as if it was a weapon. "stay back you little monster."

haechan gasped and clutched his chest. "what?? why??"

mrs na narrowed her eyes at him, taking tiny steps backwards. "i know what you're trying to do, you nimrod."

sunghee made a confused sound, inching closer to the door as she watched the scene play out, awkwardly.

"and what is that?" haechan spoke, innocence lacing his voice and making it seem like nothing he was doing was wrong — which for all sunghee knew was true.

"i know you're out for one of the limited edition skywalker legacy lightsabers you know i have hidden under my jacket you rascal." jaemin's mother hissed.

sunghee gaped at her. "what the fu-"

"hmmmm..." haechan stroked his chin pensively, cutting his friend off. "you are very wise, i've got to admit—,"

mrs na nodded.

"—and i guess ill cease for now."

"very good." she moved from her protective stance, gesturing past the wall. "your friend is in there if your here for him."

"thank you, ma'am!" sunghee jumped forward and looped her arm around haechan's, dragging him in the direction the lady had pointed in.

"yeah, good luck getting him out of there."

———

"you're an idiot." were the first words haechan mumbled after helping mark into the car, his hair covering his eyes as he silently glared at the road ahead. the boy was emitting a rather dark aura, one that had sunghee pressed to the other side of the car just in case he decided to lash out—which was actually quite likely.

"me?" mark asked innocently, glancing up from his spot in the backseat—almost as if it wasn't obvious that the words were directed at him.

"yeah, why would sunghee be an idiot?"

"i don't know, maybe because she failed her korean test-?"

"HEY!" a switch turned in sunghee. "WE DONT KNOW IF I FAILED."

"jeez sorry."

"YOU BETTER BE SORRY."

"damn, fine."

"anyway," haechan grumbled from the front seat. "how long is your mom gone again? or like how long would you need to stay?"

"i have absolutely no clue," he fished his cold phone out of his pocket, dangling it so haechan could kind of see it through the rearview mirror. "my phone's dead. sunghee was the one who texted her for me."

"and she said like..." sunghee tried to remember. "oh! she said like 2 weeks."

"oh okay that's fine." haechan replied, running his fingers through his hair. "you can for sure stay for that long."

sunghee glanced at him out of the corner of her eye. he never really acted as calm as he was acting right then, not in front of her at least (with her he either had a million insults or was clinging to her for dear life), and it felt weird. like a tingly feeling in her chest and she couldn't seem to draw her eyes away.

and she had to admit, he was quite pretty. the softness of his face and golden hue of his skin — she found it all very enchanting, toped with his glowing chocolate eyes and... and...

"why're you staring at me," the boy in topic drew his eyes away from the road to make direct eye contact with sunghee, catching her off guard.

she jolted in her seat. "huh...what??"

"i said, why are you staring at me?"

"i-no-i wasn't staring at you?" sunghee so obviously lied, causing both the boys in the car to roll their eyes.

"you totally were."

"it was very obvious."

"SHUT UP. I JUST THINK HAECHAN NEEDS A HAIR CUT THATS ALL."

"ouch."

"well it's true!"