第二章

CHAPTER TWO; the scariest monsters are the ones that lurk within our souls

Jungkook tenses under his brother's arm which is slung around his shoulder in a domineering manner. To an onlooker, it may seem like a protective gesture, but Jungkook knows that it is a subtle way for his brother to show his ownership of him. 

They walk toward the wall of reporters standing at the top of the stairs leading to the beautiful hotel, cameras flashing as they get closer. Before they reach the first step, Gung-Min leans down and whispers in Jungkooks ear.

"Don't you dare cause a scene tonight, you know the consequences," he says, his low voice threatening, hot breathe hitting Jungkook's ear. 

Jungkook just nods, looking down at his shoes trying to hide the anger in his eyes. They walk up the stairs smiling and answering the reporter's questions, pretending they like the cameras flashing in their eyes, the mics being shoved in their face, the questions being yelled at them. Pretending like they enjoy each other's company. 

Jungkook plasters a fake smile onto his face as he pretends to listen to his brother answering some reporter's question, occasionally nodding at whatever lies his brother is spewing. The two push through the reporters, bodyguards surrounding them and Gung-Min's hand gripping his shoulder.

They enter through the museum doors and the frantic shouting of reporters vying for their attention is replaced by the quiet chatter of rich people, who, ironically, are also vying for each other's attention. 

Jungkook keeps his fake smile plastered to his face as he greets powerful CEO's and representatives who ignore him as they kiss his older brother's ass. Jungkook can't help but grimace when no one is looking, his brother's hand still gripping his shoulder like a dog's leash, claiming Jungkook as his pet.

Jungkook swipes a glass of wine off a waiter's plater and scans the large museum, bored of hearing diplomats suck up to the monster he calls his brother. Taking a sip of the bitter wine, he watches powerful people do what powerful people do, suck ass to get cash. 

He is pulled into a conversation briefly as a young woman, maybe three or four years older than him politely asks him about his thoughts on a painting hanging on the wall a couple of feet away from him. He gives a bored reply as the grip on his shoulder tightens, his brother annoyed she would speak to Jungkook instead of him.

Jungkook purses his lips and swishes the wine around his clear flute, watching the blood-red liquid splash up the sides of the glass. He glances up and over the bare shoulder of the woman standing in front of him and catches a glimpse of the girl Rosé introduced him to the other night. 

Ah, what was her name, Lily? no- Lisa? Oh whatever, at least I know someone here.

Jungkook flashes the woman a polite smile as he extracts himself from his brother's domineering grip and quickly walks away, knowing his brother can't do anything in front of all the people. He weaves through the crowds of people, a group of young women tittering excitedly as he passes, one sending him a flirtatious wink. 

He flashes them a thin smile in return, clearly uninterested but not wanting to seem rude. He turns his gaze away from them as he continues walking but pauses almost immediately having lost sight of the young woman. 

He sighs in frustration and takes another sip of his wine, scanning the room once more as he tries to get a glimpse of her grey hair and doe eyes. His attempts to find her are once again interrupted as the lights in the museum begin and his brother steps up onto the podium, signaling the start of the auction. 

Jungkook scoffs as the crowd quiets and turns to his brother with looks of admiration shining brightly on their faces. He downs the wine in one quick tilt of his head before running his hand through his hair in frustration. 

"I fucking hate you, hyung-nim," He breathes as his brother presents the first item for bid, showing off an extravagantly carved wardrobe.

"That's interesting," a voice behind him says in a whisper, "you put on such a convincing show earlier." Jungkook turns in shock, raising his eyebrow as he meets the smirking face of the woman he was trying to find earlier. She holds his gaze, an amused smile dancing at the corners of her lips.

"I saw you earlier," Jungkook remarks, eyes turning away from her dark-red tinted lips, "I was trying to find you."

"I know," she says, moving to stand next to him as they face the auction once more, "that's why I hid, I didn't want you to find me." Jungkook turns his head to look at her, spotting a playful glint in her brown eyes as she takes another sip of wine. 

"You hid from me on purpose?" He asks, laughing quietly in disbelief. 

"Of course, you look like you bring trouble," she smirks, turning her head and meeting his amused gaze.

"Oh, you don't even know, darling," he drawls, setting a hand on her exposed back. 

"Maybe I would like to," she replies, holding his gaze as she slips her hand onto his chest. Jungkook turns to face her, holding her gaze as his body tenses at her touch. 

"I'm a devil in disguise, doll," he breathes, heavy gaze taking in her fair features.

"Oh, it's hardly a disguise Jeon," she replies, throwing her head back in quiet laughter, "but it's okay because I'm a devil disguised as an angel."

"I doubt that doll," Jungkook retorts, his smirk faltering as Lisa runs her hand down his suit, leaning forward and whispering in his ear.

"Do you want to leave with me?"

He cocks an eyebrow at her in interest, surprised at her boldness. He glances up at his older brother once, knowing doing this will cause more trouble for him the next day. He turns back at her and smiles, eyes glinting with some show of life he didn't have when they began talking. 

Lisa grins, taking this as a yes and grabbing his hand, pulling him away from the crowd of auctionees. Jungkook glances backward once and spots a glaring Gung-Min, watching his retreating figure with anger. Jungkook turns his gaze back to Lisa's slim figure and smirks, Lisa's hand in his own giving him a surge of confidence as they run away. 

They burst through a door on the side of the building, taking a deep breath of fresh air as they stand silent for a moment, listening to the soft hum of cars in the distance. Lisa turns to him and grins, before bursting into laughter, joyful at their escape. Jungkook watches her with a small smirk, an odd feeling creeping into his gut.

Shit- she's ethereal and a little crazy

07/05/2021

here's the second chapter!
what are you guys' thoughts so far?

i hope you enjoyed it, i appreciate all the love you gave the first chapter of this book!

Love you all so much <33