CHAPTER 1: Northville Stanford University

BLUE

“SHIT!” I cussed from pain.

Nagising na lang ako nang naramdaman kong dumampi ang aking likod sa matigas na sahig dito sa aking kwarto. I just fall from my bed because of that creepy dream of mine. I dreamt about my twin brother back when we were both seven, and some events that didn’t happened in my past. I even dreamt that Dad was shut and he—no. Scratch that one. Dad is very fine.

He is very fine doing his job at Canada. Yes. Dad is in Canada together with my twin brother—Mint. My family inherited a big—not so big—company from my paternal grandparents there, so it needs a full focus for proper handling and management. That’s why Dad needs to bring Mint there. Para naman hindi siya mag-isa at para na rin magsawa siya sa mga kalokohan ng aking kakambal. They say twins can’t be separated. Well, they’re wrong and we already proved them wrong.

“ACK!” I shouted from pain when I tried to stretch my back. Parang matindi talaga ang pagkakabagsak ko. Shit that dream!

“Blue, are you okay? What happened?” pagpapanic na tanong ni Mom mula sa pintuan ng aking kwarto.

Here comes my mom, by the way. She is, no other than, Mrs. Blythe Reyes-Lim. She is a full-blooded Filipina who captured the heart of a handsome full-blooded Chinese named—Christopher Lim.

Honestly speaking, I felt like Mom is closer to me than Mint, while Dad is closer to his “bud” than to his “ki—no, cut that thing—to me.

“Blue, are you okay?” Mom asked again, walking towards my position.

Narinig niya siguro ang malakas na pagkalabog ng kwarto noong nalaglag ako sa kama. Siguro, masyadong malakas ‘yon kasi nararamdaman ko pa rin ang sakit ng aking likuran at sa bandang puwetan ko.

“Nothing, Mom,” I denied, trying my best to stand stiff.

Kung sasabihin ko sa kanya na nalaglag ako sa kama, paniguradong pagtatawanan lang ako nito. I already knew about her. It’s better to keep it to myself.

“Nothing? Tingnan mo nga ‘yang mukha mo oh, hindi na maipinta,” she uttered with her mocking smile. I think she already knew where will this go.

“Hindi mo naman talaga maipinta ‘tong mukha ko, kasi wala kang dalang paint at paint brush,” biro ko sa kanya. “At isa pa, hindi ka artist,” I uttered as I leaned my face closer to her.

“Ouch! Nasaktan ako sa ‘hindi ka artist’,” she replied as he held her chest. ‘Yong galaw na parang nasaktan talaga. “Bakit? Sino ba ang gumagawa ng mga school projects mo noong nasa nursery at elementary ka pa?” tanong niya sa akin.

Okay. I felt guilty for that.

I’m going to accept that. The truth is I am the one that isn’t an artist in the family. Mom can paint and draw. Dad can play musical instruments like guitar and piano. Mint can sing and dance. Me? Well, I can just solve mathematical equations at ease and tell what you did for the past few hours by just looking at you. I think that isn’t art and with that—I conclude that I’m not an artist. Well, I can dance a bit, but that isn’t enough to call myself an artist.

“Okay, Mom. Thank you for all you did before, huh,” I uttered in a sarcastic tone. I even held her arms and put my head on her shoulders.