CHAPTER 5: The Call and The "X"

BLUE

“Blue! Mauna ka na lang muna sa cafeteria. May pupuntahan pa kasi ako sa Building 1,” Valeriano said as we were in the elevator.

As the door slid open, we both went outside and parted ways: me going to the cafeteria, while he’s taking his way to the said building. I don’t know what’s his matter on going there. Siguro may kaibigan siya doon na bibisitahin, kasi pumunta din siya doon noong Lunes. Well, it’s not my own business to care.

I was walking my way when I heard him calling me. I stopped and turned around, watching him running towards me. I narrowed my eyes into slits as I stared at him.

“What’s the matter?” I asked, gripping the sling of my bag.

“Pwede bang humingi ng phone number mo para tatawagan na lang kita kapag nasa cafeteria na ako?”

I threw him my usual questioning look. Hindi naman kasi masyadong malaki ang cafeteria para kailangan pa niya akong tawagan kapag nandoon na siya. On the other hand, masyadong crowded then doon kapag tanghali kaya pahirapan talaga ang paghahanap. He’s kind of right on that side.

“Give me your phone.”

He then quickly gave me his phone, and I was surprised that it doesn’t secured with a password. Maybe, it’s because wala siyang sekretong tinatago. Whatever. Basta ‘yong sa akin, may security lock.

I dialed my phone number using his phone. When I heard a vibration from my pocket, I then hung up the call and gave him back his phone.

“Don’t you ever share my phone number with others, or else, I’ll have my first crime here at NSU,” I said in a firm voice.

He just smiled at me and made a salute. “Yes, master!”

Nang tumakbo na siya sa paalis sa akin, doon na rin ako naglakad papuntang cafeteria. Masyadong maaga pa naman, kasi maaga kaming dinismiss ng aming Literature instructor.

As expected, medyo maliit pa lang ang nandoon sa loob ng cafeteria. That’s why I took the opportunity to order my food, dahil tiyak na dadagsa na ang mga estudyante mamaya. I didn’t bother to order Valeriano’s food. Wala rin naman kasi siyang pasabi na ako na lang ang bibili ng lunch niya.

After paying to the cashier, I brought the food tray with me and went straight to the table where we ate yesterday. It’s like this will be our table permanently if no one will take it first. Hindi pa naman dumadating si Bianca, kaya ako muna ang mag-isang kumain dito.

Habang kumakain, hindi ko maiwasang tumingin-tingin sa aking paligid. Then I was right. Nagsimula na ngang dumagsa ang mga gutom na estudyanteng pumapasok sa loob.

While I was in the middle of chewing and swallowing, I suddenly felt a presence of a student standing right in front of me. I slowly raised my head up, and an angel-like man with a headphone strangled on his neck greeted my very own pair of eyes. He was also holding a food tray, which contained his lunch.

It was Ixon.

“Can I take this seat?” he slowly asked.

The table that I am sitting is good for four people. So basically, it only have three vacant seats, since I already occupied the other one. If I will give Ixon the other one, it would be still enough for Valeriano and Bianca to sit on.

“Yeah. You can take that one,” I answered after I swallowed my food.

He then put his tray on the table, and pulled a chair right on my front and took a seat. He looked at me and smiled delicately. He moved so gently and smoothly like a girl. Mas babae pa siya kung gumalaw kumpara kay Bianca. He then removed the headphone from his neck, and started eating.