✓( 𝟭𝟲 )WIND, georgenotfound

( 16 ) WIND GEORGENOTFOUND ✓
GEORGENOTFOUND x SHE / HER READER

( implied abuse, implied fighting )

IT MUST HAVE BEEN THE WIND.

HE COULDN'T SLEEP

HE COULDN'T SLEEP. It was one of those nights; he was overthinking again. He was supposed to be sleeping well tonight too, they had another video to record tomorrow. They could reschedule, but they'd already planned this weeks beforehand, and it would be hard to get another time in the coming days where they'd all be free again.

God damnit.

Frustrated, he pulled the blankets up to his chin and tucked his head into his pillow, watching the curtains flutter from the crisp winds. Why was it so cold tonight? Out of all the nights, too. Why couldn't the weather pick some other night to be all breezy?

And then he heard it from the floor above.

Glass shattering. Shouting - someone was mad. The panicked cries of someone else. Something was being thrown.

What was going on?

Then George shook his head and kept his eyes on the gentle fluttering of his blue curtains. No, it wasn't his problem. In fact, he had his own things to deal with. He was meant to be sleeping, not listening to whatever was going above him.

Muffled sobs and a strained voice, though he couldn't make out the words, came next. His conscience prodded him to go check on whatever was happening up there.

He shook his head again.

No. Not tonight. He had his own things to be dealing with. He had no time to help with someone else's problems, no matter how concerning their situation may sound.

Nope.

No.

Not happening.

BOUNCING ON THE heels of his feet and hands tucked into the pocket of his hoodie, George waited for the elevator to open. With a quiet beep, the doors opened, and he stepped in, fingers already pressing the button that would take him to the floor above his.

Running his fingers through his hair nervously, he waited a few seconds before the doors opened again, this time on the second floor. He moved with a certain kind of determination - the kind that showed he wanted to be over with whatever he was doing as fast as possible.

But moving forward, his pace slowed.

He shouldn't be doing this. As in, really shouldn't. Like he said before, he had enough on his plate without the problems of a stranger too. Even if they are his neighbor, and even if their situation sounds a bit . . . concerning.

Oh, fuck it.

He rapped his knuckles against the white wood of the door before he could change his mind. A few moments later, the door opened and a girl appeared, an oversized sweater draped over her body.

He frowned at her state; the slight downturn of her lips, the puffiness of her eyes. Even her hair looked as if it had been haphazardly brushed through with only her fingers in an attempt to make herself look presentable - not that she didn't already look presentable. She actually looked . . . pretty.

What the hell was he thinking?

"Hello?" she said, looking at him, and his frown only deepened when he noticed the hoarseness of her voice. "What did you - what did you need, sir?"

"I was just, uh - I . . . ," George stuttered, before pulling himself together and taking a deep breath. He shouldn't be the one panicking. "I was wondering about the . . . noises. I heard noises. I live in the apartment below you, and I was trying to sleep, and then I heard some noises coming from your place. I wanted to check if you were . . . okay."

Her eyes widened for a moment before she smiled at him. It looked painfully bitter. "I think your ears are playing tricks on you then, sir. I didn't hear anything."

He focused on the sweater she had on, the stiff fabric hiked up to her chin and the tips of her fingers. The pants she had on concealed her legs, as well. He couldn't see anything wrong with her clothes, as it was windy that night, but he was sure something was happening. Something bad.

"Thanks for caring, sir, that's nice of you," she continued, "but I have to go back in. Wish I could tell you about the noise, I honestly do, but I didn't hear a thing."

"No, I -"

"You know, it must have been the wind, sir," she cut him off hurriedly. "It's blowing rather harsh tonight. That's what it must - yes, it must be the wind. You're most likely hearing things."

Brows furrowing at her words, he began to shake his head, but then he spotted the trembling of her hands and the curling forward of her shoulders. He saw the glimmer of fear in her eyes.

He stopped.

"Yeah, it - I must've been hearing things, then," George said slowly. "The wind is . . . loud tonight."

"Yeah. It is." She cleared her throat, voice still shaking slightly. "It was - it was nice meeting you, sir. Really, I appreciate that you took the time to check up on me - us. On us." Again, he frowned at her slip-up, but didn't say anything. "Thank you for caring. But really, nothing's going on here."

"Okay then, I'll take your word for it," he said hesitantly. "Uh, good night. Sleep well."

She gave him a tired smile. "You as well, sir. Good night."

And then the door shut quietly.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

- hello! how's everyone been?

- did you guys like this one? this is a songfic based off of must have been the wind by alec benjamin if you haven't noticed already.

- i stockpiled on oneshots so get ready for a truckload of updates soon :D

UPDATE 7 / 11 / 2021 the book's been finished i'm sorry :( no more updates </3

- kinda tired so i'll prolly be going to sleep after publishing this. night everyone! love u all :)

love,
lea

UNEDITED