✘( 𝟬𝟮 )SHE, nihachu

( 02 ) SHE NIHACHU ✘
NIKI NIHACHU x 2ND POV READER

( pessimism, swearing )

THERE'S NO POINT WATERING A DEAD FLOWER.

YOU DIDN'T BELIEVE in soulmates

YOU DIDN'T BELIEVE in soulmates. You don't think you ever had, to be honest.

And as you kicked away an empty can, the metallic clang as it hit the concrete sidewalk filling your ears, you remembered why.

The world was in shambles. It always had been. In shambles, you mean. Times like these, like as your eyes followed the empty, metal container rolling down the wet pavement, or when your black shoes-once again-crushed a crumpled plastic bag under their soles, you felt as if all was useless.

There's no point watering a dead flower. The best phrase to describe the futile attempts made by scientists to help Earth's pitiful state. There was no going back now. There never really was, to be honest.

Eyes searching for the familiar doorstep of a familiar white house, you clutched the umbrella closer to your body in an attempt to dry, despite the hem of your cuffed pant legs (it was another attempt at keeping yourself not soaked) and the light colored bag you carried on your back being rather damp already.

When you finally picked out its dark frame, an oddity compared to the line of peach duplicates around it, the corners of your lips tilted up into a small smile.

You hurried across the street, desperate to get inside. The sound of rain pounding against the sopping wet concrete seemed to get louder as you got closer to the dark colored doorframe. As soon as you reached the front steps, you rapped your knuckles against the wooden door, a few droplets of water landing on your fingers.

Despite repeatedly shifting your weight in anticipation (left, right, left, right...), as well as the storm above you, you managed to hear past the downpour. Quick footsteps making their way to the door, slowly getting louder, helped widen your grin. The door swung open.

"I'm so sorry!" Niki greeted you with apologies, her dark eyes shining with concern at your soaked state. She moved to the side to let you in, and you stepped happily into the dry home, shooting her a small, grateful smile. "I didn't realise it was gonna rain today! If I knew then I wouldn't have asked you to come over!"

You let out a laugh, giggling at her mother-hen-like nature.

"Niki, it's fine," you said, smiling. "A little rain never hurt anybody."

But still she frowned at your (admittedly, rather disheveled and) wet state, closing the door behind her.

"Are you cold?" she asked, hand tugging absentmindedly at the loose threads of her peach, knitted sweater. "I can turn up the heater if you'd like."