Xianshe I - The Present (2)

Revised 16/07/22

This chapter is quite long (8K) but I got carried away while editing aha..

Thank you for waiting so patiently!

* * *

To Lan Jingyi, Wen Ruohan's laughter sounded like 'that one song that would play at your funeral while everyone's busy crying their hearts out over his coffin'. In pure shock, he startled at the sound–just as everyone else did, he can defend!!–and accidentally pressed a button on the platform.

The very button that said [Begin]

On the screen, large text appeared. [Episode One (第一集)]

Everyone immediately turned to him with the most furious glares they could muster, "Lan! Jingyi!"

Lan Jingyi nervously laughed, internally praying that these feral strangers wouldn't throttle him to his death, and scratched the back of his head, "Whoops?"

"The Yiling Patriarch Wei Wuxian has died! That's such great news!"

Throughout the darkness of the room, it was quite terribly obvious when a certain Wei jumped out of his skin at the words. Many questioning glances were sent in his direction, although most were just trying to figure out what just happened.

"Who said that?"

"Old Liu, that sounded suspiciously similar to your voice!!"

"Me?! Old Chang, you've got to be as deaf as you are blind!! I haven't spoken as much as a word this whole time!"

"You say that yet you just said 18 words just now!! Old Liu, are you a lunatic, stupid, or are you just generally an idiot?"

"You were really counting that..? But everything aside, that was certainly not me! When Wei Wuxian died, I was at my grandparent's house!"

"...You have grandparents? At your age?"

"My mother and father, what's the difference?!"

If Jiang Yanli wasn't the very incarnation of fury that very second, then her reputation as the Violet Spider's daughter would all be for naught! But despite that, she pulled at her lip and retained her anger, for that's exactly how she had been taught to.

She had been taught to stay a calm and composed noble lady, which only resulted in her abandoning A-Xian when he needed her the most.

And of course, she was doing that again. Because behind her mask of bravery, she was a coward . A coward that couldn't even prevent the slandering of her own brother.

Jiang Yanli's eyes watered with unshed tears as she stared down at her lap, where her fists had been clenched. And then another–a much larger–hand settled on top of hers, squeezing her own reassuringly.

When she next looked up, it was to the sight of A-Xuan's comforting smile. She smiled back, even if tears continued to build within her eyes.

"Really? Who killed him?" A third party, seemingly oblivious of the happenings in the cultivation world, curiously asked.

The screen, which was no longer black, showed a series of memories. They varied from the sunshot campaign, burial mounds siege, and the many acts of evil in which Wei Wuxian committed.

"What's this?"

"Is that a painting?"

"How weird!"

"Look, look! The picture is moving!"