Cloud Recess II - The Past (8)

Revised 25/06/23

I'm so sorry this chapter is, like, almost 9K words long. I got a bit carried away, as you have probably already guessed.

***

Amongst the murmurs of discussion and curious exclamations of surprise, in a certain corner of the room stood everyone's favourite villain: Jin Guangyao. He had his arms crossed in a relaxed manner, his chin was raised in a show of the utmost confidence and his demeanour was poised; there wasn't a single tell-tale sign of distress or nervousness emitted from him.

It was this noble sight that had Su Minshan's lips curling into a smirk, his faithfulness for the man not yet deserted, for Jin Guangyao was someone he could confidently say he respected over any cultivator. "Clan Leader, are you waiting for them to let down their guards before you finally act? So smart! As expected of Clan Leader! Nie Huaisang, that cunning little fool—he dared to brazenly scheme against you! He deserves to die a thousand deaths!"

"Minshan, Da-Ge is back. And this time, he is even more guarded, for he knows of my schemes," said Jin Guangyao, and he sounded amused. "I won't be able to do anything to them. Not now that I have been villainised by the world."

He uncrossed his arms and gently placed a hand on Su Minshan's arm, looking distantly somewhere above his shoulder. "All I wanted was to unite the cultivation world and to prove myself... to prove that even a bastard like me could flourish with success. And how is it my fault there were so many obstacles blocking my path? How is it my fault that I was born out of wealth? How is it my fault that Da-Ge persisted to stand in my way?!"

The sympathetic speech had Su Minshan's lips trembling in both fury for the cultivation world's injustices and sympathy for Jin Guangyao's pitiful history. "Don't worry, Clan Leader. I will definitely find a way for us to regain our former glory!"

"Thank you Minshan," said Jin Guangyao softly. He smiled. "You really are the only one on my side."

"Of course, Clan Leader," Su Minshan stuttered, his cheeks embarrassedly flushing red at the praise.

At the same time, Lan Jingyi had somehow pushed past the masses of people (who had respectfully parted for him to make way for a path) and had once again reached the platform. The stone steps were intricately carved, and looked far more pristine and stable than any part of the cave. He idly scratched his head in confusion, not quite sure what to do next to get everything to continue. Did he even want to? Although, unless they got through all of these trials, he couldn't quite picture anyone managing to ever escape this mysterious place.

"You know," he said idly. "It's kinda surreal knowing I resurrected these people, an accident though it may have been. I sort of feel like a great immortal."

"An Immortal? You?" came a not-quite-yelling yet certainly chastising voice. Jin Ling joined Lan Jingyi on the platform and pulled at his ear, erupting a yelp of pain from the Lan's chest. "Keep dreaming. If you ever became an immortal, you'd be cast out of heaven within a stick of incense!" [1]

Ouyang Zizhen huffed in exasperation. "A stick of incense?" he said incredulously. "That's extraordinary! Knowing him, it wouldn't have even burnt out half way!"

"Haha, very funny, you guys," said Lan Jingyi, and he wasn't amused. "I am a very responsible adult, thank you very much. What do you mean within a stick of incense? Matter of fact, that's how long it would take them to fall-absolutely-in love with me!" he nodded in Wei Wuxian's direction. "Right, Senior Wei?"

Wei Wuxian tilted his head in confusion, not quite hearing what the boy was saying. But he nonetheless smiled and even sent Lan Jingyi an encouraging nod, for the junior was being very responsible, taking it upon himself to control the tricky-looking platform! What a good child!