Chapter 8

Curtis Salazar

Nadia isn't pregnant after all — unbelievable, after all that drama. Turns out the pregnancy test she took and freaked out over was wrong and if there was anybody to be responsible for getting her pregnant, it was some random guy who she hooked up with before we started dating. News spread around quickly and one would think she'd be shy to come to school or ashamed but here she is a week later, with her short skirt, opened buttons and head held up high.

"Hey," Nadia says, ambushing me by my locker. I don't bother to hold in my groan, now of all times when I just happen to be alone. "What's up?"

I shut my locker and glare at her, "what do you want?"

She lowers her hand to her manicured nails, "Curt, is that a way to speak to your girlfriend?"

"Girlfriend?" I scoff. "You're joking, right?"

She pouts, "oh come on, I was away for a week, doesn't mean we broke up?"

"Actually, we did break up and I'm not even sure if it's when I told you I can't do us anymore or when you wrongly accused me of getting you pregnant or when I confessed, I'm gay now," I list out, already getting drained from speaking to her. How on earth did I put us with her for three weeks?

"I'm sorry for the pregnancy thing, I missed my period and I freaked out, okay?" She sighs. "And I'm sorry for any other thing I did to make you want to end us. We make a good team, you and I."

"We don't and maybe you didn't hear this but I'm gay and I'm currently dating Timmy."

"That's bullshit and you know it."

My heart skips at that but then there's no way Nadia can know it is all a lie. "What?"

"There's no way you're gay, I'd know if I was dating a gay guy."

Tsk.

"Well, I guess your gay-dar is broken, see ya seniorita."

Nadia grabs my hand, "you're not gay. You and that- Timmy are playing some kind of game that I'd surely get to the bottom of."

I don't like the way she called Timmy's name, like it is some sickness. I yank her hand off me, done with delicacy and gentlemanliness. "Good luck with that, I like Timmy now."

She stares eye wide at me, sticks her nose out and stomps off catwalking. I watch her waist sway from side to side and a week ago, I'd probably be drooling over it but not anymore. Sex and physical attraction only went so far and it's terrible that it took me nearly four years to realize that. This is senior year and if not anything I want to graduate with peace of mind and having fun. Not being a shiny handbag to arrogant girls, having mindless sex and sulking when all that is done with. Maybe now that people think I'm gay, I might get a nice girlfriend who'd like me for me. Who I can talk to about anything and everything, who'd have my back and always want me around for the sake of loving my company.

I turn around to walk to my next class and I immediately see Timmy. He is walking out of a class with his female friend and co worker, wearing the remains of a smile on his face. His glasses are crooked and I don't know if it's because he doesn't notice it or it's big enough for the crooked-ness not to bother him but he leaves it that way. Some locks in his bangs were sticking out and he had his camera in his hands. I don't know when I start smiling as I watch him go, oblivious of my presence behind— Timmy's cute.

I jog up to him, swinging my arm around his shoulders, startling him and then using my other hand to mess with his hair more (that way he'd pat it back down, smoothing out all sides.)

"Hey!" Timmy scolds, trying to duck away from me and glaring. "Stop playing with my hair, I'm not a dog, you'll mess it up."

I reach for his camera, pulling it out from his neck, "Give me that."