52. Bar Fights and Street Lights

Maya's POV

Tuesday, February 16th

12:45 pm

I scribbled down a few notes as Professor Harman droned on and on about some assignment that was due in a couple of days.

So far Rhetoric and Composition was my least favorite class this semester. We had to write two essays a week and given everything going on, I needed some time off.

And I was already stressing about my senior thesis. I had a rough outline of it already written but I was not ready.

I hadn't been able to sleep or focus or do anything for that matter. Not without thinking of Will anyways.

Every time I thought I was feeling somewhat calm, I'd break down into tears.

And to make matters worse, everyone found out that Will and I were dating.... I mean dated.

Rumors spread left and right and it was out before I even knew it.

But it wasn't like there was much to tell anyway. We were over.

I didn't know if Will would take me back and I honestly wouldn't want him to.

I was damaged goods and it was like I said all along, relationships weren't something I knew how to do.

And now that my business was out there. Everyone looked at me differently and wanted answers like I owed it to them or something.

Professor Harman stopped talking and people started to get up and pack their things.

I must have been so distracted I didn't hear him end class.

The sounds of zippers and moving chairs flooded the classroom as I slammed my notebook close, picking up my backpack.

I trailed behind a few students and made my way to the hallway, heading downstairs.

My next class wasn't for another hour and Casey asked me to meet her in one of the art rooms.

I moved down the steps and made my way around a corner, heading past a few vending machines.

I stopped once I reached a few windows outside a classroom. I could see through the windows, Casey with dirty hands.

I opened the door and the smell of pencil shavings and paint began to fill my nose.

"Hey. What's up?" I said unenthusiastically. I dropped my bag by the door and sat down at one of the stools.

Large square desks were all placed in a circle and one stool sat in the middle. The windows poured in sunlight behind her.

It must've been the figure drawing room.

She looked up from the canvas on the easel in front of her and sighed.